New Flag ideas: SC and TR

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
Stij
Private First Class
Private First Class

New Flag ideas: SC and TR

Post by Stij »

Scope (SC): Turns your binoculars into a deadly accurate scope! You can zoom in and out while using the binoculars with up and down on the mouse (or arrow keys, if that's your thing). Also, the range of your shots is increased, at the cost of longer reload time.

Also, you can't move forward and backward while using the scope, which is an obvious disadvantage.

Traitor (TR): Similar to MQ, except you appear as the opponent's color on their radar as well as their screen! The downside, however, is that your tank speed and shot speed are greatly reduced. Also, your shots still remain your team color. This flag could add a lot of new strategy to CTF, but it might not be as useful on freestyle maps.

Any thoughts on these?
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

TR has been suggested before and shot down for various reasons

SC.. you can already zoom with binocs, the reload time/range thing has some merit, but since it is a flag the not moving part makes you a sitting duck and no one in their right mind would hold on to the flag
Jefenry
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Jefenry »

donny_baker wrote:SC.. you can already zoom with binocs, the reload time/range thing has some merit, but since it is a flag the not moving part makes you a sitting duck and no one in their right mind would hold on to the flag
I think Stij meant you will still be able to move when you're not zoomed in with the scope.
I kind of like this flag idea, because it will take skill to hit moving targets at a distance because your shots don't have an increased velocity, like Laser. What would also be cool is if there were three to four different magnification levels for the scope. Or is that part of the original idea?
Stij
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Stij »

Jefenry wrote:
donny_baker wrote:SC.. you can already zoom with binocs, the reload time/range thing has some merit, but since it is a flag the not moving part makes you a sitting duck and no one in their right mind would hold on to the flag
I think Stij meant you will still be able to move when you're not zoomed in with the scope.
Yeah, that's what I meant.
Jefenry wrote: What would also be cool is if there were three to four different magnification levels for the scope. Or is that part of the original idea?
Actually, I was thinking you could zoom in and out freely, instead of being limited to a few magnification levels. Of course, there'd be a limit to how far in you could zoom.

Also, why has TR been nixed? Too overpowered?
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

I don't much like the idea of SC. Sure, your range might be increased, but you can already see people in the distance simply using your window or radar. Plus, the speed of your bullet isn't increased only the range. So trying to hit someone at great distances while their moving, with lag and the same shot speed is very hard. I personally don't ever use Zoom. Perhaps yes sometimes on and all out sniping map, but on servers like Badgers or MoFo I dont zoom at all.
A Vicious Muffin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Vicious Muffin »

There's binoculars in this game? I didn't realize. :roll:

Seriously, how much would you use this? As Grace F said, "Perhaps yes sometimes on an all out sniping map", that would be the only time you'd use it. And how many of these servers are there? 1? 2? When creating a flag idea, you should make sure it can be used on all maps.
Stij
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Stij »

True, the lack of speed might make it harder to use then Laser. Maybe if you increased the speed...but would that make it too overpowered?

Or perhaps combine it with an existing underused flag like IB.
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

A Vicious Muffin wrote:There's binoculars in this game? I didn't realize. :roll:

Seriously, how much would you use this? As Grace F said, "Perhaps yes sometimes on an all out sniping map", that would be the only time you'd use it. And how many of these servers are there? 1? 2? When creating a flag idea, you should make sure it can be used on all maps.
Personally, binoculars are a must for me whenever I have the laser flag.
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

Stij wrote:True, the lack of speed might make it harder to use then Laser. Maybe if you increased the speed...but would that make it too overpowered?

Or perhaps combine it with an existing underused flag like IB.
Increasing the speed, it would be the same as F, (Rapid Fire), just with scope. Nah, I don't see the point.
Stij
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Stij »

Personally, I just think having a zoom-in scope would be fun. Maybe it could be a server option instead?
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

You CAN already zoom your screen with <ctrl> and your mouse wheel...
Stij
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Stij »

But you can't zoom in any farther then the binoculars let you.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Stij wrote:But you can't zoom in any farther then the binoculars let you.
Right, limits are a Good Thing (tm).
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

So, Scope is basically, advanced binoculars where you cannot move?
Uh, no thanks.

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
*Boinkage*!
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by *Boinkage*! »

SC: Not a bad idea, but its almost impossible to hit a target. Maybe a higher rate of fire will help.
TR: Won't enemies you notice moving reallll slow. Also, couldn't you just ID them and blast em?

Related to tratior, a RC(Radar Confusion)flag would be interesting. On radar you appear the same team, not out-of-window.

The binoculars should be expanded. After playing Call of Duty, I hit upon an idea: Air stirkes. You shoot, and the spot you aimed at it pummeled by several random shockwaves. It could be a simple server setting, or a flag.
The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword.

Okay, you get a Bic, the orc gets a long sword.

He cuts the Bic in half.

Then he cuts you in half.

Oops, I meant quarters.
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

How would you aim?

If it was serveral shockwaves from your tank position forward, (kind of the same dilio as an Earthquake) - then that would be a better idea.
asciimonster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by asciimonster »

*Boinkage*! wrote:Related to tratior, a RC(Radar Confusion)flag would be interesting. On radar you appear the same team, not out-of-window.
This is a flag that should be introduced. (imho, the "traitor" flag is far too powerful) It's one of the complementory flags that I have been missing (compare QT<->V, CL<->ST, OO<->SB) But MQ could have an opposite where it hasn't.

I guess it was discarded as being too powerful (look out the window you radar-gazers!). If you still think so, you could have it blink back to the original colour every, lets say, 3 seconds?
*Boinkage*!
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by *Boinkage*! »

I guess several shock waves would work, for binoculars. They shouldn't be huge at first, but get larger as it goes on. If we had vertical aiming, it would work. *Camper is in an open area on a high cliff*. *Targets camper* *Camper is blown to bits by a round of artillery shock waves*
What if you could spot targets with binoculars, and mark 'em with a flare? Like a glowing spot that identifies the tank, killing any CL advantage. :D
On RC, you COULD flash it back, or better still,make a hard-to-see outline that shows the true color. Shots will look the tank was truly on that team.'How about... DriLl! (DL) Your tank burrows, then moves forward quickly. Upon firing, the tank explodes in a shock wave that comes from the ground. You are invincible to everything but shock wave and steamroller.
SuicIde (SI) The tank shoots forward at twice the speed of agility when you fire, then blows up upon impact or firing again. It makes a decent shock wave.

He cuts the Bic in half.

Oops, I meant quarters.
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

Your coming up with all these ideas, but are you able to make these? Similar to Slayer++ mine plug-in.
*Boinkage*! wrote:DriLl! (DL) Your tank burrows, then moves forward quickly. Upon firing, the tank explodes in a shock wave that comes from the ground. You are invincible to everything but shock wave and steamroller.
Would you have any control over movement underground? Could this underground shockwave be avoided? By either jumping or going around it (if the shockwave was slow moving - I think the ingame variable for that is "_shockAdLife").
*Boinkage*! wrote:SuicIde (SI) The tank shoots forward at twice the speed of agility when you fire, then blows up upon impact or firing again. It makes a decent shock wave.
What's with you and SW's? :roll:
*Boinkage*!
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by *Boinkage*! »

Because they totally own! :twisted: .
As for Drill (now just D), you would shoot in a straight line. The shock wave could be half the normal speed. The tank is buried just enough to avoid normal run-overs and bullets.
As for making them, I don't know code. I can make a program to say "Hi" 1000000000000000000000000000000 times, but can't program much else.
Many ideas I've had do NOT use shock waves. (Or do they :D ).

He cuts the Bic in half.

Oops, I meant quarters.
meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by meeba »

I'm in support of an RC flag. Would be nice.