Rewards for kills/caps

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

Giving points for carry distance isn't going to work. What if a map has a tunnel or other structure that requires tanks to drive radially away from the base in order to reach it? What about hiding the flag?

Take Overlord, for instance- unless you approach your base from behind, you have to move slightly away from the base to jump up to it. Furthermore, hiding the flag requires taking it some distance from the base.

You could give points for killing an opponent who's carrying your flag, or something like that. Actual points for carrying is a bad idea.
Optimism is just a milder alternative to denial.
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

True.

You could also get points for killing someone while your running the other teams flag. Not sure about your own, this might cause people to just pick it up at random and start shooting.
sussi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sussi »

ehm ,not the distance what u run with flag!!
difference of the distance (base-distance_grab_point) and (base- second_point). It would work positive (getting points for carryying the flag in the right way, negative for wrong way. Even for hidding the own flag would work in the mentioned way.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

How would running it to a teleporter that is towards the enemy base, but teleporting you closer to yours work? Would you get negative points?
Stij
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Stij »

Blah, this is getting confusing.

Maybe capping a flag should earn you a point*, and killing someone earns you a fraction of a point. If that's even possible.

*maybe you should get a larger bonus from capping if your team is outnumbered. Some sort of ratio or percentage thing, I imagine. This might help with the whole uneven teams thing too.
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

So the guy who carried the flag all the way from the other base, dodging shots the whole time, only to drop the flag right next to the base.. gets nothing?
The dude that moves it the last millimetre gets a point?

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

Seems that way CBG :evil:

Why not just add a 'Caps Counter' next to a players name that records all caps s/he has made as requested by Tedius earlier on in this Thread. No points awarded.

We need to think up a better way if 'points' are going to be awarded.
Stij
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Stij »

Meh, I guess that's true, CBG. But we can't seem to come up with a good way to award points for carrying the flag.
Tedius
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by Tedius »

I think it is best to just keep it simple by returning to the concept of a separate flag-capping and carrying score from the normal score. We are after all just talking about a couple of numbers next to your name. People trying to rack up points by exploiting the idea will just be seen as lame, and those of us trying to capture for real will have something (however modest) to show for it. No yardage for carrying your own flag, just for your opponent's flag.

You'd be able to see quickly if a team is playing as a team if the yardage stats were fairly even as opposed to only one person with 4000 yards and everyone else with high kill points.

(forgive me for using the term "yards," the correlation to American football rushing stats is hard to avoid)
this signature intentionally left blank
Stij
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Stij »

Well, it still doesn't address the exploit of moving back and forth to rack up points, but I guess it doesn't really matter- it's kind of hard to do that when the entire enemy team is trying to kill you. :P

Other then that, I like your idea.

EDIT: not sure if this would work, but....

What if, when you had the enemy flag, the game checked your distance from you to your team base, and if you moved anywhere behind that point you didn't earn any points for it? I know that sounds confusing, so here's an example....

Player A has the flag and is 100 bzunits away from the base. If he moves 10 units back and then 10 units forward, he gets no points (but doesn't lose points either). If he moves 10 back and 20 forward, he gets credit for only 10 bzunits worth of points.

Not sure if that makes sense, but I'm tired.
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

Not a bad idea :)

But what is the point in 'points'?
too much loving
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by too much loving »

I am not so happy with this idea of mixing team score with personal score. Here is why:

When I play CTF I sometimes die while giving cover to a team member. When that happens then I feel good, because I know that I have sacrificed a tank for the team. After all CTF is a team vs team game, so I must have died from doing something right.

If team members got personal score points from capping then I would have second thoughts. Why should I sacrifice my own personal score to raise the personal score of a team member? Of course it would make sense if he also sacrificed himself for me sometimes, but summing everything up I would probably lose points from being a team player. It would be tempting to not give cover and just pick up the enemy flag after my flag carrying team member was dead. That way I could get the capping bonus myself instead of leaving it to my team member.

If you want to mix personal score with team score then I think that you should give 1 point to each tank in the capping team and subtract 1 point from each tank in the opposing team. Of course that would give some points to undeserving team members, but it would also encourage everybody to play for the team, simply because team play because teamplay was an easy way to raise your personal score.

I like tedious's idea of a cap counter. In rabbit mode the same counter could show how many times you have killed the rabbit.
Catoblepas
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Catoblepas »

Basicly what has been discused is making the good better, and the bad worse, is that a good idea?
Ordep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ordep »

I think that there is no need for such rewards. Capping the flag or returning your own flag to the base already brings rewards and that is why you do it.

You return your flag to your base not to be killed when its capped by an enemy.

You cap others teams flag to make them lose points and give you a chance to get closer to first place. Or to a kill a ST of that team easily.

I belive this are enough good rewards!

But i agree that a cap count could be add to the players scoreboard. Or give 1 point to the person who caps. Sometimes the person who caps may not be who have done most of the work. But not everything can be fair.
Stij
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Stij »

If you want to mix personal score with team score then I think that you should give 1 point to each tank in the capping team and subtract 1 point from each tank in the opposing team.
I dunno, that would kinda defeat the point of this whole idea if the person acutally doing the work got as many points as the guy who just sat there doing nothing.

I'm still sticking to my previous idea.
TD-Linux
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by TD-Linux »

How about sorting the scoreboard by team score first, then personal score? So all the teams would be grouped together based on team score?
Stij
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Stij »

...Because you'd have to be losing pretty badly before you get a decent flag. It wouldn't worth it, and franky it'd be a pretty stupid way to play. It's supposed to help the people who are genuinely losing at the game.