Ricochet Enhancements

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
FiringSquad
Sergeant
Sergeant

Ricochet Enhancements

Post by FiringSquad »

An option I'd love to see, is a bullet that only activates after a ricochet.
This could be a server option of perhaps a bad flag (RA - RicoActivated - Your bullets only kill after a ricochet)

Secondly, a spin option, which would put spin on a bullet after a ricochet.
This would effect the bounce angle upon its next collision. It would only make sense on match servers though, where you have some chance of knowing a bullet's history, so that you can anticipate how it will ricochet and therefore avoid it.

I think both of these options could add quite a lot of skill to Ducati matches especially and to the 1Vs1 servers.

Of course spin could allow a bullet to travel a curved trajectory, but this, in my opinion, would probably make things overly complicated. It might be fun to shoot around obstacles though. :)

Anyway, anybody else think this might be a good idea?
I expect it would be quite easy to implement, though it would require a server patch.
Saber
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Saber »

Why would you want your bullets to activate afer a ricochet. If the other tank is right in front of you? It seems like a bad flag to me.
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Saber wrote:Why would you want your bullets to activate afer a ricochet. If the other tank is right in front of you? It seems like a bad flag to me.
So let it be a bad flag, then. :-)

Personally, I like both ideas. Put a little twist (pardon the pun) on the game as we know it.
Ordep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ordep »

I believe that the RicoActivated idea would be fun as a server option. I would really enjoy playing in a server with that option on. =P

It could bring more skill and creativity to the gameplay.
And could there be maps made only for that type of style. =)

The second idea would be cool too.
Stij
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Stij »

I'd like to see a "billards" server where you can't hit targets directly and have to use tricky ricochet shots. Maybe it could be a server option?

Spin sounds like a great idea too.
The Frog Master
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by The Frog Master »

The Active After Rico sounds like fun, that way you wouldn't have to worry about teammates who were doing the same thing, spin, interesting, might be a bit hard to control, what if you could give it spin BEFORE you fire, for instance, f to spin left, h to spin right, g to spin normal.

Frog
Ummmm, yea, errrrrr, hi, hey, is this thing on??
Probably not, oh well, ahhhh, wellll, the thing is... ahh tarnation, who cares.
Macrosoft
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Macrosoft »

hold "g" for no spin?... it could be set so that the shot has no spin unless "f" or "h" is held down... makes it easier to change between spin directions
gazz: A bullet may have your name on it, but shrapnel is addressed "to whom it may concern".
http://bash.org/?785529
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

Stij wrote:I'd like to see a "billards" server where you can't hit targets directly and have to use tricky ricochet shots.
Come play some GU :--P

www.gu.bzleague.com
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

That is far too complex for BZFlag. I can guarantee controlled spins will not be added. And even random spins are unlikely to ever be added. The bullet-only-active-after-rico idea isn't very intuitive for the user.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

blast wrote:That is far too complex for BZFlag
Too right.

It would be a fun thing to have though. Then again, Guided Geno and whatnot are fun too! :)

To kind of go off topic a little bit. Is there a page people can take a look at to see what things the Devs are working on? This way people might get a better understanding on what the Devs are looking for, for implementation...
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Grace F wrote:To kind of go off topic a little bit. Is there a page people can take a look at to see what things the Devs are working on? This way people might get a better understanding on what the Devs are looking for, for implementation...
Kind of... https://bzflag.svn.sourceforge.net/svnr ... zflag/TODO

... although that's probably out of date, I'm thinking.
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

Thx Const. Hmm that's a long list.

People should really think about their Enhancement Ideas carefully.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Grace F wrote:People should really think about their Enhancement Ideas carefully.
Ideas are cheap... getting someone to do them is where the community struggles. There are very few active developers and they have their own ideas which they work on. Many player/forum users seem to think ideas will magically end up in the code if they dream it up. My advice to the idea people, is to exert some effort in learning C++, study the code, connect up on IRC (with a real IRC client) discuss their ideas and join in the fun. Patches and enhancements are always welcome (no guarantees that it will end up in the official code though). ;)