Suggestion for game change to deal with TKers

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
Bill Z Bubb
Private
Private

Suggestion for game change to deal with TKers

Post by Bill Z Bubb »

I think all of us have had to deal with the frustration of getting a decent score, maybe a good win/loss ratio going.. then having some newbs come in who use no fire discipline and screw your score up. It hardly seems fair that when you are the victim of someone else's stupidity, that your score gets penalized.

SO, I would like to make one suggestion, and that is that the person who gets hit by a tker does not get his score deducted... and the one who was the shooter loses 2 poiints, or if he nails several people, like spraying a laser around or shooting himself with a geno, he loses those points too. Seems to me this would encourage fire discipline.

Not being a programmer, I dunno how hard it would be to program that... but personally I would love to see that change.
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

It has been talked about before.

However - what about when it is not the shooter's fault? Perhaps the 'victim' drove in front of the bullet. Who should get points deducted then?

Although, I do agree, it would be nice to have it as a server option, in the same way you can turn off death-on-tk.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

Unfortunately, in 2.0.x, most scoring is handled by the client. In other words, we can't change this behavior until 3.0. When 3.0 is released, scoring will be much more customizeable (by plug-ins and such).
Optimism is just a milder alternative to denial.
Joe-Schmoe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Joe-Schmoe »

A simpler change would be to have it so that you can turn friendly fire off. Blue bullets would go right through blue tanks.
Join MI6!
L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

Joe-Schmoe wrote:A simpler change would be to have it so that you can turn friendly fire off. Blue bullets would go right through blue tanks.
I think that's already in 2.9. ;)
Optimism is just a milder alternative to denial.
knoxcorner
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by knoxcorner »

However - what about when it is not the shooter's fault? Perhaps the 'victim' drove in front of the bullet. Who should get points deducted then?
I agree with spazzy, but what I was thinking was that the person that was tked would not die, but like Raptor, the tker would have 2 points taken away. But still, that wouldn't solve the problem of tkers, because they have no care for their score.

(First Post :D )
Bill Z Bubb
Private
Private

Post by Bill Z Bubb »

Spazzy Mcgee wrote:It has been talked about before.

I understand that sometimes the person hit has driven in front of the tker... but generally the person who gets hit cannot see the shooter, whereas the shooter CAN see where he is shooting, thus it seems to me the responsibility is more his than the one who gets hit. Almost NEVER have I been tked by someone I was able to see. It may not be prefect ALL the time, but would be appropriate a vast majority of the time.

ONE thing, this should not count when the person who is hit is using cloak. When you are cloaked, you are taking your chances.
temporal distraction
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by temporal distraction »

Raptor64 wrote:ONE thing, this should not count when the person who is hit is using cloak. When you are cloaked, you are taking your chances.
Also ST, but obscured by structures. On Bloodbath, if you are ST in the center of the field and your teammates are using SB against the enemy also in the center, it is _your_ responsibility to dodge your teammates shots.
F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by F687/s »

> But still, that wouldn't solve the problem of tkers, because they have no care for their score.

We have a winner!

In reality, deliberate tking is just a milder form of cheating (offense-wise), and should be treated as such. Also, while TKing settings should be more configurable (possibly both in victim and shooter penalties), an admin will still be needed. Also, most players already know not to kill their teammates, which makes severe penalties less palatable to the innocent ones who hit somebody else by accident. In that case, it just may be to find the solution that works for that server, which may be completely different than the one employed elsewhere.
Bill Z Bubb
Private
Private

Post by Bill Z Bubb »

Well, I still think the person who gets hit should not be penalized... but I will concede that what should be done with the tker may be debateable. I think this should also apply to those who are victimized by a geno shooting himself.
netochka nezvanova
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by netochka nezvanova »

maybe "give" the tk'er a PZ flag for some time

amount of teamkills in seconds maybe