Flags I would like to see

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
Wabbits With A Laptop
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: new flag

Post by Wabbits With A Laptop »

I would like an "invisible" flag(IN).It would make you invisible out-the-window and it also would make you have the stealth flag at the same time.Mind you, the shots are still going to be visible on both out-the-window and on radar.

And I also would like an improvement with the steamroller flag(SR).This flag is just about the same as useless.By the time you are right behind the nearest opponent, that person(oops I mean tank)will turn around and shoot you right in the face.BAM!!! So I would like stealth with steamroller.I predict that will be much more effective. :idea: :wink: :) :D :lol-old:
captainmack
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by captainmack »

the "invisible" flag has been repeatedly rejected by the developers.

the SR update might work...
"So you think that money is the root of all evil? Have you ever asked what is the root of money?"

Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

Wabbits With a Laptop wrote:I would like an "invisible" flag(IN).It would make you invisible out-the-window and it also would make you have the stealth flag at the same time.Mind you, the shots are still going to be visible on both out-the-window and on radar.
This has been shot down on the grounds that it is far too powerful. How are you going to find a tank if this flag exists?
Wabbits With a Laptop wrote:And I also would like an improvement with the steamroller flag(SR).This flag is just about the same as useless.By the time you are right behind the nearest opponent, that person(oops I mean tank)will turn around and shoot you right in the face.BAM!!! So I would like stealth with steamroller.I predict that will be much more effective. :idea: :wink: :) :D :lol-old:
You can currently change the radius of the SR effect, to make it more effective.
Joe-Schmoe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Joe-Schmoe »

Both of those effects can be done by turning off radar in the options. Of course, people can still use the "look" key to find you.

SR is the best flag, because of the sound it makes :)
Join MI6!
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

SR is not a weak flag, you just don't know how to use it. You don't get the SR flag and charge after people because it's no wonder your getting shot.

With SR you can hit people from under a platform below with a jump. I've killed many people with it because when they jump, they jump right at you.

Wabbits With a Laptop wrote:By the time you are right behind the nearest opponent, that person(oops I mean tank)will turn around and shoot you right in the face.BAM!!!
Why would you do that? SR tanks can shoot, this flag doesn't deny them of this.
slon02
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by slon02 »

Winny wrote:
Wabbits With a Laptop wrote:I would like an "invisible" flag(IN).It would make you invisible out-the-window and it also would make you have the stealth flag at the same time.Mind you, the shots are still going to be visible on both out-the-window and on radar.
This has been shot down on the grounds that it is far too powerful. How are you going to find a tank if this flag exists?
You can hunt the tank. Also, if its a moving one, a pair of treads appearing out of nowhere is kinda a DEAD giveaway. So are bullets coming out of nowhere..... :)

I say no to both flags:
1. IN is still too powerful and needs a counter, considering it will resist GM and L.
2. SR is fine the way it is, you don't head straight for another tank, you learn to shoot instead.
Current Server: hosting.BZADDICT.net:5173
Former Server: Fairserve.bzflag.org:5259
dexter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dexter »

You can hunt the tank. Also, if its a moving one, a pair of treads appearing out of nowhere is kinda a DEAD giveaway. So are bullets coming out of nowhere.....
How are you supposed to hunt a tank that you can neither see out the window or on the radar? People would just sit somewhere and camp. That would mean no treads.
Well placed, unexpected shots wont stop them killing you.
As Winny said, the flag would be way to powerful.
F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by F687/s »

> SR is not a weak flag, you just don't know how to use it.
> You don't get the SR flag and charge after people because it's no wonder your getting shot.

Yes, the whole principle behind SR is to give you an additional way to kill. For example, it allows you to hit a jumpy person, without wasting shots. And we all love the sound. ;-)
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

Exactly :)
too much loving
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by too much loving »

Is there a server setting that makes all SW users invisible on the radar? That would (almost) allow wabbit to implement his second idea in the following way:

1) Make all SW users invisible on the radar.
2) Make the SW radius very short.

If the SW range is short enough then I don't think that these settings will disturb the gameplay. (After all he can just keep making the radius shorter).
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

So in other words, a stealthed tank that fires shockwaves instead of normal shells? An interesting idea, I guess, but probably not something worth making an entirely new flag for.

Sometime in a future release the plan (if there is a plan) is to separate the abilities from the flag types, thereby allowing custom flag combinations.
Red Shift Blue Shift
Private
Private

On Steamroller... and combining it with momentum...

Post by Red Shift Blue Shift »

My opinion, but I think that combining the momentum flag with steam roller would be fun (but I'd prefer to take the momentum name). There's better trade-off between advantage/disadvantage, it simplifies the flag and weakness. It's still pretty logical and intuitive to the player, plus you can go pretty fast if your momentum is up. Basically, it would give players an appropriate way to express the phrases "ramming speed" or "Full Steam Ahead!" to their hearts' content. (please note that I'm not plagiarizing, I posted something like this in the wiki as well a while back)
robster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: On Steamroller... and combining it with momentum...

Post by robster »

Red Shift Blue Shift wrote:My opinion, but I think that combining the momentum flag with steam roller would be fun (but I'd prefer to take the momentum name). There's better trade-off between advantage/disadvantage, it simplifies the flag and weakness. It's still pretty logical and intuitive to the player, plus you can go pretty fast if your momentum is up. Basically, it would give players an appropriate way to express the phrases "ramming speed" or "Full Steam Ahead!" to their hearts' content. (please note that I'm not plagiarizing, I posted something like this in the wiki as well a while back)
Yeah SR is more of an add on weapon then a main one like a SW (which is why you can still shoot with it). It just means if you happen to go near an opponent like jumping in mid air then you can kill him instantly. If you add that with momentum then you have a very poor flag that is more hazardous to team mates then opponents. Like making an ok flag (SR) very frustrating to use.
I've seen on a number of occasions 2 greedy team mates get killed going for the same flag and it being a SR and yes sometimes it has been me being greedy :P.

Stealth with steamroller would lessen the power of stealth if the tank couldn't shoot with it and would make it a very strategic and sneeky flag :D

The invisible flag would only work if the tank could not shoot (still vunerable to geno, lucky shot etc.) and had a similar reload time to a theif after flag drop (so you cant just kill someone right away). It would make it more of a help in ctf and becomes a problem for friendly fire.

I disagree with the people who complain about too much power of some flag ideas. To be honest on most servers laser is nigh impossible to dodge 'cos of its infinite speed and its as bad as a mine with ricochet. BZZZT and your dead, nothing you could do except jump to a different level (but why would you do that?). You may not even realise someone has a laser until its too late. At least with a mine you could see where it was planted and avoid it. Laser should have no ricochet really.

And that Earth is what really grinds my gears 8)
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

Wabbits With A Laptop wrote:And I also would like an improvement with the steamroller flag(SR).This flag is just about the same as useless.By the time you are right behind the nearest opponent, that person(oops I mean tank)will turn around and shoot you right in the face.BAM!!! So I would like stealth with steamroller.I predict that will be much more effective. :idea: :wink: :) :D :lol-old:

You're doing it wrong

the whole point of SR is to be able to sneak up to people who are above you, on a thin(er) platform, or behind a wall.

You just drive up close to them, (or jump up under them, in the case of the platform) and then you can kill them quite easily, with almost no danger to yourself.
Jefenry
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: On Steamroller... and combining it with momentum...

Post by Jefenry »

Red Shift Blue Shift wrote:My opinion, but I think that combining the momentum flag with steam roller would be fun (but I'd prefer to take the momentum name).
I don't think that's such a bad idea for a server variable. Something along the lines of _srMomentumLinAcc, _srMomentumAngAcc, and _srMomentumFriction. They could be adjusted the same as Momentum, and that way Steamroller would feel more like a lumbering steamroller to those server owners who wanted it.