Revisions to the ECM flag idea

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
Red Shift Blue Shift
Private
Private

Revisions to the ECM flag idea

Post by Red Shift Blue Shift »

I like combining flag ideas, this is another flag idea that I thought would work well if some features were combined (gm jamming + electronic counter measures [AKA e.c.m.]). I posted this on the wiki a while ago and am curious to see other peoples' thoughts are about it, and maybe others can help refine the ideas that were put into this as well.

ECM (EM)

What it could do:
Other tanks' radars get jammed within a certain range, so does the user's. Combine this flag with Missle Jammer idea (prevents GM locks for tanks within ECM emission range). ECM can be visually represented in window as a large ring that surrounds the tank.

What it looks like (two ideas in my head right now): User and all others in vicinity of ECM influence are unable to use radar when ECM is in effect (jamming effect).
In window, all see it as a circle or ring (someone else needs to decide the color of it) that spreads from epicenter of emission to maximum range around tank. However, viewed on non-afflicted radar, it is a black circle that clouds everything within the range of the ECM on radar much like an SW with more lasting power. Each ECM burst can last for a limited amount of time (5 seconds?) or can take the place of a shot?

OR to simplify for the coding, everything in vicinity of ECM influence appears as a solid black circle.
Through window, everything looks the same as described above.

I'm not sure if letting the user with ECM also have a bullet would overpower the abilities of the flag (even with reduced bullet range).

Advantages:
-Large emission radius (bigger than a sw radius, which is at 20% of standard bullet range, ECM would be around 45-50-60% of the standard bullet range), this can also tactically mask many tanks from SB snipers
-Prevents GM lock if enemy tank w/ GM is within the ECM emission zone
-Jams Radar

Disadvantages:
-The ECM blast does not kill others
-Jams your own radar, and your teammates' radar as well if they are in the ecm blast zone
-You can still get hurt by anything (dumb GMs, bullets, lasers, etc.), no physical protection is provided by this flag
F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by F687/s »

Sounds too complicated. PZ is really the only flag that's allowed to be complicated (and the necessity of that flag is disputed).
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

You know, I've always been opposed to this flag every time it's been suggested. And that was on the similar grounds to what the officials have said - "It's too hard for people to realize what's going on."

But actually, changing it so everybody can see the flag holder on the radar as an indicated circle would mostly solve this problem, and the flag would provide definite tactical advantages and opportunities, as well as encouraging team play, which it would do if the tank could not shoot - not to mention the map ideas people could dream up.

Oh, and you might say 'people will just avoid that circle on the radar' - how about you fill in the circle for everybody? That kind of gives any team mates in the vicinity of the flag holder a cloak.

IMO, a great tactical flag that would really benefit the game. (At least more so than PZ currently does.)
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon