Ipod touch

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
silver surfer
Private First Class
Private First Class

Ipod touch

Post by silver surfer »

as you all know.. ipod touches have internet... does anyone know if i can like play or observe bzflag... i asked one person... they said i need some kinda 3d thing that give the touch the ability to like show 3d stuff.. u kno... i also asked some people on THE COMPOUND[b] that new map... they started talking about stuff i would never know what it was...

If someone could tell me if it is possible?[/b]
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

IIRC, Ipod's do not support Open GL and BZFlag is openGL based. So no i don't think its possible. unless Ipod gets Open GL support. Now that doesnt mean BZAdmin wont work.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I recall hearing that the iPod Touch (or at least the iPhone) has OpenGL ES. Someone(tm) would just have to port it over, which should be possible.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

blast wrote:I recall hearing that the iPod Touch (or at least the iPhone) has OpenGL ES. Someone(tm) would just have to port it over, which should be possible.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojnjRhYR ... re=related Seems like it would be possible, But you might have Super lag. On my psp my internet speed is not the quickest its not slow either but when you are playing bz it would be different.
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

ducktape wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojnjRhYR ... re=related Seems like it would be possible, But you might have Super lag. On my psp my internet speed is not the quickest its not slow either but when you are playing bz it would be different.
The issue would not be internet speed, so long as you had a LAN connection to a fast enough internet connection, you wouldn't see much difference in speed as from your computer. The issue is the hardware.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

Spazzy Mcgee: Not only hardware but controls if you see on the youtube link you play with the touch as your controller so kind of like the Wii. you would move the touch while you play. it might be hard to see especially when dodging.
Saturos
Art Master General
Art Master General

Post by Saturos »

It makes no sense to play on such a small device... even on a eeepc with 7" display the radar is so small that you can barely see whats going on. Still it would be awesome to have bzadmin for iphone/ipod touch which should be fairly easy to code up.
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

Not only BZAdmin for the ipod touch or ipod phone. But for PSP and DS aswell
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

ducktape wrote:Not only BZAdmin for the ipod touch or ipod phone. But for PSP and DS aswell
I don't believe the PSP and DS have released (free) SDKs. Without an SDK, it is very hard/impossible to port and application to a given platform.
Last edited by Winny on Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I haven't tried the iPhone SDK, since I don't have an Intel mac. Does it have a cross-compiling kit where you could just run the regular build system and get bzadmin running on the device? Or would it actually have to be ported.

On my Nokia, it was just a matter of compiling it inside a Scratchbox target from their SDK, and copying the binary over. I could then run bzadmin inside the terminal, after I installed the curses runtime library.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

silver surfer
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by silver surfer »

i wouldnt play i would observe and talk... and for some reason i cant post on it either...

so is there something i can buy or download on my ipod?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

silver surfer
no. what people are saying is that a NEW project would have to be started to write a version of bzflag or bzadmin for the iPhone/iPod Touch. There is no solution at this time.

It may be techincaly possible to do given enough time and work.
ImageJeffM
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

The iPhone SDK requires an Intel Mac.
silver surfer
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by silver surfer »

cool... ok... constitution u mean those big G5's?... i have one... what computer u talkin about?
Saturos
Art Master General
Art Master General

Post by Saturos »

A G5 is a PowerPC-Mac and not Intel based. Google a bit about Apple's Intel switch.
junker
Private
Private

Ipod touch

Post by junker »

I wouldn't look for bzadmin to run directly on iTouch. I'd look for a ssh client to login to linux ( or other ) machine to run bzadmin on. I used to do this all the time from my Palm Treo.
lol_u died

Post by lol_u died »

Hey guys...I did some research and Open GL is supported and 3d hardware acceleration. only on iPhone as i know of...Heres my proof...in this youtube video link...a apple SDK manager has created a game called touch fighter....its cool so check it out...mention at 24 seconds of the clip he says it supports Open Gl and some other stuff which I know bzflag requires to be playable...now all we need is a SDK kit which is for free which they currently have a beta version...available and it does not require a intel mac. But in other cases.... just want to confirm that it does support Open GL...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn83wizE ... re=related

again....listen closely at 24 seconds of the clip

:D
macsforme
General
General

Re: Ipod touch

Post by macsforme »

junker wrote:I wouldn't look for bzadmin to run directly on iTouch. I'd look for a ssh client to login to linux ( or other ) machine to run bzadmin on. I used to do this all the time from my Palm Treo.
The only issues with this approach are that 1) it requires a server to act as a middleman, and 2) there can potentially be issues with the additional latency. If a native client can be created to run directly on the device, I think it would be more efficient than using an indirect approach.
Mets
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mets »

I agree with junker. There's a great ssh client called PuTTY that you can use. One version is called Portable PuTTY and another, pocketPuTTY. Portable PuTTY works on iPods (so it says) and I've used pocketPuTTY to do Verilog simulations on linux machines from my windows mobile phone. It actually works surprisingly well, assuming you have a linux box setup somewhere. It's especially nice if you, say, need to make a last minute change to your code as you sit in lecture and then resubmit it...or maybe transfer that homework assignment you forgot that's sitting on your computer in your dorm to another computer, so you can actually print it out and hand it in on time....I've never done stuff like that :D

http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/putty_portable
http://www.pocketputty.net/
Legolas_
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Legolas_ »

With a jailbroken iPhone it is possible to install terminal and have access to an ssh client. So this wouldnt be too hard to accomplish. I would wait however, until the iPhone software upgrade comes and see if a terminal application will come then.
silver surfer
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by silver surfer »

Yes i have already jailbroken my touch... but it wont let me manage my apps or use terminal so...
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

silver surfer wrote:Yes i have already jailbroken my touch... but it wont let me manage my apps or use terminal so...
If you broke your license agreement with Apple, is that really something you want to be proclaiming to the world?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

we do not discuss such things here.
ImageJeffM
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Mets wrote:I agree with junker. There's a great ssh client called PuTTY that you can use. One version is called Portable PuTTY and another, pocketPuTTY. Portable PuTTY works on iPods (so it says) and I've used pocketPuTTY to do Verilog simulations on linux machines from my windows mobile phone. It actually works surprisingly well, assuming you have a linux box setup somewhere. It's especially nice if you, say, need to make a last minute change to your code as you sit in lecture and then resubmit it...or maybe transfer that homework assignment you forgot that's sitting on your computer in your dorm to another computer, so you can actually print it out and hand it in on time....I've never done stuff like that :D

http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/putty_portable
http://www.pocketputty.net/
You can't run Portable PuTTY on your iPod, only from your iPod. In other words, using your iPod as an external hard drive on a Windows machine. PuTTY is for Windows.