Bzflag playable on internet?

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
lol_u died

Bzflag playable on internet?

Post by lol_u died »

Hey guys, heres a thought that is i possible to have bzflag be playable in your interent browser? sorta like runescape ...hehe....i think that will be awsome but to make it eaiser we can add limits to the internet browser one. like maybe only certain types of maps can be played...what do you think?
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I guess I don't see any point to that. Our game is what, 20MB at most? Just install it...
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

lol_u died

Post by lol_u died »

But blast it can still be good for students like me who want to play bzflag on the computer becuz the computer teacher ACTUALLY sleeps in class (serious) and I cant install bzflag on the computer and still its nice to have a handy and quick easy way to just play bzflag..it will be popular....just think about it.. PLEASE REPLY FOLKS with thoughts
Shmebber
Private
Private

Post by Shmebber »

Well, I certainly think it's possible, and it'd be fun to try.

However, I agree with Blast, in the sense that I doubt too many people would really want to play it online... certainly, if you could access BZFlag online, there are surely better games you could play.

Plus, my knowledge of most school computer labs is that if even a hint of a game is posted on the web, the evil web blocker blocks it within seconds. (Seriously, our online usage is in a totalitarian state...)

This could be remedied by a good proxy, of course, but is it really worth it?
Triumph of the Soul
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Triumph of the Soul »

This was discussed earlier, and although you did not specifically mention HTML as a medium for the game, the thread here quite thoroughly covers the situation for an undertaking like this.
Creator @: Duck or Die, Duck or Die CTF, Fuel Stack, Guernica, Normal, Frayed
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

I have thought of BZflag in like A flash format game thus playing it on my psp by just saving the swf. but graphics would be pretty bad. I think that BZAdmin in a swf type of file would be sweet, then i would have it on my psp with out it being super laggy or terrible looking.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

As far as I know, Flash does not have any 3D acceleration, so that would be stupid. Shockwave does, but still, come on. Put BZFlag on a thumbdrive if you really don't want to install it. I even took the time to fix the code so that when BZFlag 3.0.0 is released, you can even have the config file on your USB stick, so everything will stay on there.

There is no reason you need BZFlag as a web/flash application, nor is it feasible. It is NOT going to happen.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

blast wrote:There is no reason you need BZFlag as a web/flash application, nor is it feasible. It is NOT going to happen.
What about BZAdmin I've talked on the irc with some about my idea, but will it happen if i dont learn how to code it myself?
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

ducktape wrote:but will it happen if i dont learn how to code it myself?
That depends on whether there is anybody else with the coding skills, that is interested in the same idea, and is willing to put in their time to make it happen.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
lol_u died

Post by lol_u died »

blast wrote:Put BZFlag on a thumbdrive if you really don't want to install it.
This caught my attention...how do you do this blast?
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

You do it when 3.0 comes out, as blast said, and you copy your files out to your thumbstick and use a command line option to specify you data directory (on the thumb)... doesn't work in 2.0.x
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

You can already run the game from USB, it just won't be able to store the config on the drive. Just install the game to your hard drive, and drag and drop the installed folder into your USB drive. (C:\Program Files\BZFlag2.0.10\). Easy as that. The configuration will be stored on the computer that you run it on, so just delete the files when you're done or something.

lol_u died

Post by lol_u died »

ok thanks :D
Acmex
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Acmex »

Quite literaly, Bzflag is too large to be put in as a web application.
Just today I read another post on another forum on a different game (OpenTTD, if you must know) on how you can put it on a flash drive, and it too uses a .cfg file. I belive that you can just take the .cfg file on the drive with you, and just copy it off into the deafult location, bzflag finds it, when you're done just cut the .cfg file off the machine, and put it back on the flash drive,
Acmex says:

Hi.
Bye.
Acmex!