New flags...

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
*Boinkage*!
Private First Class
Private First Class

New flags...

Post by *Boinkage*! »

I came up with a few ideas for some flags that might work while I was gone...

ColorConfusion (CC)

All teammates appear to be enemies (maybe both on radar and screen, if there are multiple enemy teams, teammates are all one of the other team colors,) and enemies appear to be allies.

Mainly, this flag could be annoying for someone who is so used to a certain team that they shoot on sight, without considering if they really are the enemy.

JammingPods (JP)

Nearby enemy tanks (100 bzunits?) have their radar scrambled like a jamming flag.

The tactical uses would be great, including foiling an enemy ambush or defeating a base.

CounterAttack (CA)

If you are killed, the shot bounces off and heads back to the attacker one and a half times as fast. Lasers are turned into bullets. GMs are sent out with a lock on the player. RF and MGs are returned as regular shots. The shot is considered to have just been fired, so it gets full range that it should have.

Three words: DIE LASER CAMPERS!!!

Kamikaze (K)

Your tank accelerates super fast. If you touch something, you explode into a regular shockwave.

Perhaps you could use this to clear out an enemy base :twisted: .

Illusion (I)

When you fire, you appear to be firing tanks (the game will use the actual tank picture.) They simply head in a straight line and explode when they hit something, but with no damage. They have a radar signature.

More of a novelty, you could use this to make enemies think they are under heavy attack.

Confusion (C)

Nearby enemies tanks suffer the effects of ColorConfusion

As you can guess, this would make defenders hesitate to fire on you or your team.

Spacial Hole (SH)

When you fire, you leave small but long lasting shockwaves, which stay the exact same size for some amount of time. This flag has a long reload time, about the same as a laser.

You could seal off a corridor temporarily, or get pursuers off your tail.

Hallucination (H)

This flag would make flags appear to be random colored tanks, and all tanks to change colors.

As you can guess, this flag is BAD

More Flags:

Ion Cannon (IC)

You fire an incredibly hot laser, which bursts through walls and objects easily, but has limited range, about half that of a regular bullet (like the SB for a laser.)

More of a fun flag, frag people randomly with your ion cannon!1!!1!one!1!!

Guided Laser (GL)

You can lock onto and fire at tanks with a laser. HOWEVER, the tank must be incredibly close (30) bzunits, maybe?

Momentum Cannon (MC)

If you hit a tank, it is sent flying and blows up when it hits or something, or if three seconds pass. If it hits another tank, both are destroyed.

Hehehe...

Andddd a totally new idea on flags!!

There is a new flag: Ultimate Final (UF)

It's sorta likein SSBB with Final Smashes

When you join a game, you pick one of these effects to be your Final (when you get the flag, that effect comes into play until you use it up):

HyperLaser: You fire a laser that blasts through enemies and walls. 15 shot limit suggested.

ThunderStorm: Lasers rain down around you in a radius of 25-50 bzunits (settable), penetrating walls and killing all tanks nearby except for you that are hit. In total, fifty lasers fire in two seconds from 1000 feet up. 3 shot limit suggested.

UltimateGenocide: If you hit an enemy, all enemies are killed, even on different teams. Shooting yourself kills your team as normal. 1 shot limit suggested.

UltimateStealth: You become invisible out-the-window and on radar, and shots are invisible, both out-the-window and on radar. However, seer defeats the entire thing. Three shot limit suggested.

These flags ARE overpower, but they should be. The Ultimate Final flag should be hard to get at or respawn slowly.

I'll post more when I think of some more. Feel free to critique any of them.
Last edited by *Boinkage*! on Tue May 20, 2008 10:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword.

Okay, you get a Bic, the orc gets a long sword.

He cuts the Bic in half.

Then he cuts you in half.

Oops, I meant quarters.
Triumph of the Soul
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Triumph of the Soul »

CC - This is already fulfilled by the CB flag. This would just make the game more complicated and from how you've put it, still be completely predictable and not really detrimental. Something like this has already been suggested.

JP - Well, 100 BZUnits is a tad high, but it should be changeable. I think this has been suggested before on these forums. Not a bad idea, except you would know when someone with this flag is getting close. We already have the JM flag anyway.

CA - Not really that fair, and not needed. You wouldn't like it if you couldn't kill someone without being almost surely killed. Unless you fire a bullet from very far away, this pretty much takes the merit out of killing someone. People will just stop shooting, giving the person with CA an unfair advantage.

K - A kamikaze flag has been proposed before many times. I don't think it is possible in 2.X, but perhaps in 3.X. This would have to make the holder unable to shoot, or else it would be too powerful.

I - Interesting. I've never seen an idea like this before. People could just change the shot image in the data folder though, so it may be bypassed to just look like a PZ shot. Other than that, I'm not sure how complicated it would be to implement. Would these shots hit walls, or just go through them? I've seen a fake bullet idea be rejected though.

C - This would be slightly more detrimental than CC, as the holder could constantly be moving in and out of range, which would make things really confusing. Other than that, see my above reference to CC. Anyway, this would act pretty much like the MQ flag.

SH - Well, the first thing you need to do is come up with a new acronym. SH is taken. Having SWs appear at the place of shot termination has been discussed before, though I can't remember any clear outcomes.

H - What's the point. It's too predictable anyway.

LMGGSNT - I agree with this flag idea 100%. It needs to be implemented for the next release for sure! And make sure that only I can get it, every time, and all the time.
Creator @: Duck or Die, Duck or Die CTF, Fuel Stack, Guernica, Normal, Frayed
*Boinkage*!
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by *Boinkage*! »

Distraction- I mean for the CA flag that the bullet would be avoidable (maybe just regular speed)

Okay, so the H flag should make enemies appear to be small, big, cloaked, or stealthed, even if they don't have the flag. It would be a random affliction, which applies to all tanks (every tank will appear cloaked or large or whatever.)

For SH (Gah, so annoying. I thought of Spacial rend, but thats already name taken lol,) it would simply be a shockwave that stays still and holds for a while, not an explosive shot.

He cuts the Bic in half.

Oops, I meant quarters.
F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by F687/s »

In general, when thinking of a flag idea, try to keep in mind how it would work in even distribution with every other flag, and no shot limits. For this reason, Final Smashes wouldn't work well in BZFlag, because somebody could easily abuse this (like unlimited Geno abuse, but far worse).

Also, for SH, you could put this in your map's options block.

Code: Select all

-set _shockOutRadius 20.0
	-set _shockInRadius 15.0
	-set _shockAdLife 3.0
This leaves a small SW bubble that lasts about 3 seconds. I have experimented with this, and learned that you cannot be killed with your own SW except in exceptional circumstances (mainly involving teleporters). Change the _shockOutRadius and _shockInRadius however you like, making sure they're relatively the same, and shockOut is bigger than shockIn.
*Boinkage*!
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by *Boinkage*! »

I would still want Shockwaves to work normally

And for those uber-smashes, they would be controlled mainly by the fact they would only respawn occasionally (maybe when a team is capped three times in a row, the flag appears on their base, so you could get back some lost ground.)

And if Planet Mofo or some other servers wants unlimited Thunderstorms, I'm fine with that (that would be...interesting)

And another smash...Camp-Killer! (lol)

Every enemy that is not moving dies. Pwned.

He cuts the Bic in half.

Oops, I meant quarters.
ConcienceClearance
Private
Private

Post by ConcienceClearance »

I like this idea, but possibly integrating all of them into the game is too much, it does make me wonder whether a pluggable/scripted flag system is something to attempt as this would allow them to be trialled before being brought into the game.

If anyone wants me to I'll see what i can do on this, i mostly work in python, but, i need to improve my C++ anyway and i've done some opengl before.

Just my 2p
Acmex
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Acmex »

I would suggest a PT, plasma torpedo, a Super bullet that at the end of its travel explodes into a sw, (i think boinkage sugested somthing like that)
N=Nuke=A bit like a mine, fireing drops a "bomb" that first explodes into MGs, with very short ranges, for the explosion, a sw for the radition, traveling very slowly, but with a huge radius, and a very dense sphere of rapid fires to repersent the Shock Wave, so it would rico and give you some way to escape.
Thats what I would like.
Acmex
EDIT: and maybe a submarine flag, water dosent kill, you sink to bottom of water.
Last edited by Acmex on Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Acmex says:

Hi.
Bye.
Acmex!
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

You guys really need to read the flag ideas on this forum and on the wiki. These are mostly not new ideas, and have been rejected before.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln