Censoring: Client Side

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
Astroman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Censoring: Client Side

Post by Astroman »

I was thinking it would be nice to be able to censor swear words on the client's side. This way, on servers where swearing is allowed, people who don't approve of such can still enjoy themselves. I'm not sure how it would be done, but I thought that it could use the same list of disallowed words that the censoring on the server side uses, this way some code could be "recycled".

P.S. Please don't ask me to "code it up", I'm just throwing it out there as an idea. :)
"I would rather walk with God in the dark than go alone in the light." -Mary Gardiner Brainard
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

This already has been implemented as a -badwords argument. There is no code reuse needed, you can use the same file that is provided for a server, or make your own.

To view the example bad word files, please look at the multilingualSwearList.txt and simpleSwearList.txt files in BZFlag's trunk misc folder.
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

Some work has been done on this in trunk, but i'm not sure how much it's gonna help.
What i'd like to see is a way for a parent to lock the game client into COPPA mode, so the player in COPPA doesn't even see the servers that don't have swear filtering on the serverlist. And the player can't easily take his client out of COPPA.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
temporal distraction
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by temporal distraction »

A Meteorite wrote:This already has been implemented as a -badwords argument. There is no code reuse needed, you can use the same file that is provided for a server, or make your own.

To view the example bad word files, please look at the multilingualSwearList.txt and simpleSwearList.txt files in BZFlag's trunk misc folder.
Isn't the -badwords argument for a server conf file? How would a person who is not running a server, but just running a client use this? I don't think you mean that one can run a client (starting it with a command line code) with -badwords path/to/the/simpleSwearList.txt do you?
anomaly
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by anomaly »

Yes you can run the bzflag client with the -badwords option and load one of the swearlist files. I know it works with the Linux client.
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

temporal distraction wrote:
A Meteorite wrote:This already has been implemented as a -badwords argument. There is no code reuse needed, you can use the same file that is provided for a server, or make your own.

Isn't the -badwords argument for a server conf file? How would a person who is not running a server, but just running a client use this? I don't think you mean that one can run a client (starting it with a command line code) with -badwords path/to/the/simpleSwearList.txt do you?
No, it has been there for as long as I can remember and I have used it. Run BZFlag with the -help argument next time. :)
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com