Thermal View Flag?

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
Skeeve
Private First Class
Private First Class

Thermal View Flag?

Post by Skeeve »

I had the idea when reading about the radar-flag. Maybe it's a nice alternative?

Thermal View will give you a greyscale view in the HUD. You will see through trees and bushes. Maybe even through buildings? But you won't see the tank's color.

With this flag you will be able to locate a tanks position even when far away as it's heat is higher than the environment. Even cloaked tanks can be seen.

I think the balance is given partly through the inability to identify a tank's color.

A counterflag could be a "Blinding Light Flag" (please come up with a better name. I'm not native english). A tank carrying this flag will be so bright in the TV-Flag owner's HUD that he just sees a bright white when looking into that tank's direction.

Another counterflag could be an "Ice-flag" making a tank as cold as the environment, making it hard to impossible to be seen.

Now please start the discussion… ;-)
Avatar created with South Park Studio

Don't you hate it when your posts get deleted without any note?
Anthony
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Anthony »

That sounds like a good idea but might be hard to code.
Quantum Tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Quantum Tank »

The counterflags sound a bit over-complicated, but the rest seems like a good idea. I think this has been suggested before on the wiki though, I don't know what the response there was...
Skeeve
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Skeeve »

Quantum Tank wrote:The counterflags sound a bit over-complicated, but the rest seems like a good idea. I think this has been suggested before on the wiki though, I don't know what the response there was...
I searched the wiki and couldn't find it.

OTOH: I couldn't find flag ideas I had some years ago. And they were in the wiki that time.

Amoeba
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Amoeba »

Very interesting... however probably a bit complicated in the coding and what-not. I like the idea, perhaps even make "hot" boxes to go along with it. I'm not sure if Hot Boxes would make for more interesting game play, but it's an idea....
Tank 52
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tank 52 »

Hmmm,well to make it simple,you could drop the "hot" and "cold" idea to make it easier to understand,and just make it "This flag makes every tank appear through walls and barriers but as multiple colors (such as yellow,green,red,blue, etc),watch out for teamates!" which could be it's description,and as for that flag that makes the tank cold simply "This flag protects you from being seen with the thermal flag"
Try to look unimportant,they may be low on ammo
Teamwork is essential,it gives them other people to shoot at.
F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by F687/s »

Uh, wha?

Personally, this flag seems too confusing, and not really super-effective or game-breaking. On 95% of servers, you can see the whole map through radar, so seeing far-away players is as simple as zooming out your radar. Also, you can already see tanks inside (or above or below) buildings. And the SE flag is excellent for seeing stealthed tanks.
Skeeve
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Skeeve »

F687/s wrote:On 95% of servers, you can see the whole map through radar,
I wrote:
Skeeve wrote:I had the idea when reading about the radar-flag. Maybe it's a nice alternative?
And was referring to:
Amoeba! wrote:[…] why not make a "Radar" flag for non-Radar maps...?
Any more questions?

Amoeba
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Amoeba »

I think (although complex) a "Heat Sensor" flag would make a nice alternative to my "Radar" flag idea.
Agent West
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re:

Post by Agent West »

for coding the "thermal" flag, can't the code from observers (code that shows tank lables) be used? or maybe similar code to it?
??? Lauria
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ??? Lauria »

I have a similar idea that would be a lot simpler to implement. Each tank has a dot appear in front of it that shrinks with the tank as it gets farther away. Even if the tank goes behind a wall, the dot would always remain visible on your view. The dot could be colored or not.

Sorta like all that info you see in Spectator mode but without names and there wouldn't be dots for cloaked/stealthed tanks.
Stop chewing that phonecord, young man!