Permanent scores and rankings

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
styrofoam1994
Private First Class
Private First Class

Permanent scores and rankings

Post by styrofoam1994 »

I noticed that a lot of games today have a ranking, permanent net score which does not go away once one leaves a game/server, but BZFlag does not. Is it possible to incorporate such a system into this game?

Examples of this permanent scoring system are:
-Counter-strike online (Nexon)
-Krazyracing Kartrider (Nexon)
etc.
answer this
blast
General
General

Re: Permanent scores and rankings

Post by blast »

styrofoam1994 wrote:I noticed that a lot of games today have a ranking, permanent net score which does not go away once one leaves a game/server, but BZFlag does not. Is it possible to incorporate such a system into this game?

Examples of this permanent scoring system are:
-Counter-strike online (Nexon)
-Krazyracing Kartrider (Nexon)
etc.
Do you mean per-server? That could easily be set up for the next release of the game via a plugin. Someone(tm) would just have to write it. The 2.0.x version doesn't allow modifying a person's own score, as your client tracks your own score locally.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

styrofoam1994
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by styrofoam1994 »

I meant like if one passes a certain threshold in score, he would be promoted a level and if he went below one he would be demoted, and this would happen in all servers with a net score/ranking, with these rankings being public.
answer this
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I don't really see a point of that for BZFlag. Not unless it was something per-server. Not all game styles (i.e. unofficial ones like HTF) are based on the same scoring methods. We do, however, have the stats site.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Longhair
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Longhair »

HTF, in particular, is notorious for trashing your overall score.
F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by F687/s »

Well, there kinda is something already implemented along the lines of that, when it comes to rankings. The Strength Index (implemented on m.b.o and strayer's bzstats) measures your overall skill, either by highest and lowest (the way m.b.o does it), or by keeping a cumulative score from your whole history of playing (strayer's). If one was determined enough, it would be quite possible to pull the stats from that site, and possibly tie it in with the Progressive plugin or something. If you feel so inclined, here's the algorithm used:

Code: Select all

($score / $wins) * abs($score / 2)
But, at least for me, this seems kinda pointless. It's very easy to skew the strength index with bots, and if you dig yourself into too deep a ditch, you can always pick another callsign. So, it's not that reliable. Also, one of the things that's so attractive about BZ is that everyone has a fair chance against another. Unlike MMORPGs, where you have to build up your character for hours/days before you even have a fighting chance against an opponent, in BZ the only limiting factor is your skill.