intercepting flying team flags

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
Mucho Maas
Private First Class
Private First Class

intercepting flying team flags

Post by Mucho Maas »

How about the possibility to be able to intercept team flags
- either dropped and catched
- flags that have been send by dropping them off over pyramids and other surfaces.

The flag has to enter the hitzone (sphere) of the tank to be able to catch them. This probably requires a flag-path implementation very similar to the shot-path.
"meet the new fo0 , same as the old f0o ... no no no .. don't get fo0'ed again ... " - The Who
Quantum Tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Quantum Tank »

Hmmm... this would be neat as a plugin, but I doubt it's possible. I don't think the flags as they are flying through the air count as objects, just more of a graphical representation of the flag getting from one place to another.
Mucho Maas
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mucho Maas »

There already is a shot-path implementation for shots. It would require for flags to be modeled using a flag-path implementation, implying that a flying flag actually is a special kind of shot.

This could in an even further away future lead to an implementation where flags can be fired by the tank holding the flag for a game type that allows team flags to be shot for passing (think football or soccer kind of game type).
"meet the new fo0 , same as the old f0o ... no no no .. don't get fo0'ed again ... " - The Who
Quantum Tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Quantum Tank »

Foo wrote:There already is a shot-path implementation for shots. It would require for flags to be modeled using a flag-path implementation, implying that a flying flag actually is a special kind of shot.

This could in an even further away future lead to an implementation where flags can be fired by the tank holding the flag for a game type that allows team flags to be shot for passing (think football or soccer kind of game type).
Again, interesting but too complicated :?.
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

Quantum Tank wrote:Again, interesting but too complicated :?.
Is that all you know how to say? Anything can be done. You just need someone willing to do it.

Foo: i think it would be fun to jump up and grab the flag as someone is passing it. but i think that not being able to grab the flags in mid air adds an awesome possibility for the game play. if you could jump up and grab it, it would be way to easy.
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

ducktape wrote:Foo: i think it would be fun to jump up and grab the flag as someone is passing it. but i think that not being able to grab the flags in mid air adds an awesome possibility for the game play. if you could jump up and grab it, it would be way to easy.
You say that - but I could see maps being technically designed so that you can only intercept the flag by jumping from a specific point. Besides that thing travels pretty quick.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

Yes, it may be hard to do but once you master it you wont really have to face anyone. When you play HiX your teammate needs you to get a flag from middle, so you usually have to "battle" someone to get the flag. I see it like that on most maps when the flag gets passed. But i'm not sure maybe it would be fun. It would be cool as a server setting in my opinion.
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

ducktape wrote:When you play HiX your teammate needs you to get a flag from middle, so you usually have to "battle" someone to get the flag
In relation to Hix, and possibly other maps, I see great tactics that could be performed from this idea. I've always wanted to intercept a passing flag. I'm sure it could be done but someone would need to take a great interest in it.
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

Grace F wrote:
ducktape wrote:When you play HiX your teammate needs you to get a flag from middle, so you usually have to "battle" someone to get the flag
In relation to Hix, and possibly other maps, I see great tactics that could be performed from this idea. I've always wanted to intercept a passing flag. I'm sure it could be done but someone would need to take a great interest in it.
Yes but then its not really a fight against skill of the players, but who can grab the flag first. I dont really consider that gameplay, more of coolness and looks.
dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dango »

ducktape
I wouldn't assume that grabing a fast moving object in midair is that easy, and if you do, you still have to land, potentially on enemy bullets.

It's not really, "who can grab the flag first," it's just another addition to gameplay, which, it seems, most people from the GU league are afraid of.