Tracking

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
Monster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Tracking

Post by Monster »

As an observer we all have the opportunity to switch between some modes like roaming, following, tracking, etc..
Some time ago i wondered if it wouldn't be kool if that was possible for the player too!?
After joining a server you could decide wether you want to play in the normal ego-mode or in the tracking-mode, etc..
Dunno if that would work or if it's worth the work you would have to put into or if it would destroy the fun of bzflag... :wink:
I just wanna know how you feel about it.
wfg Monster
joevano
General
General

Re: Tracking

Post by joevano »

Tracking? I don't think it would work at all. You would have no control over which way your tank pointed, and because of that no way to point your gun to fire...
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

why not just join as an observer if you want to follow someone, it sounds like you are just adding another mode that is IDENTICAL to observer?

what problem are you trying to solve?
ImageJeffM
Monster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Monster »

I don't try to solve any problem. This just came to my mind at work, therefore I am ver ysorry if I wasted your time ;)
Don't be angry with me:)
wfg monster
Anthony
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Anthony »

I think he is trying to get add another view for players where your outside your tank.

Most if not all racing games have them.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

it's called a "third person" camera. 3.0 has that as an option in the config.
ImageJeffM
Monster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Monster »

Ah ok, now you got me :)
I blame my bad english skills.
Again, I'm sry ;)
Agent West
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Agent West »

this is not exactly what the topic is about, but reading this gave me the idea:
what if tanks had rotating turrets and the gunner saw everything in tracking mode, while the driver had same HUD as there is now... This would require 2 ppl per tank (and would be a config option). Also it may be set up where if there is only 1 player per tank, it will be same game as it is now.
Rest in peace, AliceD (AKA Happy Alice)! miss ya!
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

Unlikely it would happen, although it would greatly change the tactics of players. So say I drive and you shot? what if I had geno and you tked me? :D
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
Zac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zac »

dont apologise for having an idea monster. but i think it would change the game, most likely for the worst
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

The two-player tank really isn't all that new of an idea... http://my.bzflag.org/w/Ideas#Game_Modes ... nd_Scoring
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
Quantum Tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Quantum Tank »

Agent West wrote:this is not exactly what the topic is about, but reading this gave me the idea:
what if tanks had rotating turrets and the gunner saw everything in tracking mode, while the driver had same HUD as there is now... This would require 2 ppl per tank (and would be a config option). Also it may be set up where if there is only 1 player per tank, it will be same game as it is now.
Sorry, rotating tank turrets have been dismissed many many times. Its just not going to happen.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Quantum Tank wrote:
Agent West wrote:this is not exactly what the topic is about, but reading this gave me the idea:
Sorry, rotating tank turrets have been dismissed many many times. Its just not going to happen.
It was actually a possible idea for a project in the 2007 GSoC.
http://my.bzflag.org/w/Google_Summer_of ... _tanks_.2A

Not that it would necessarily happen. I think it's almost just as complicated to have two players controlling one tank as it is to have a single player controlling a rotating turret and the tank movement. That, with the fact that it begs the question "What happens if the one person signs off?", I don't see it happening.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)