there should be a ranking system

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
tigger888
Private
Private

there should be a ranking system

Post by tigger888 »

it would be nice to have a ranking system to keep track of your kills and deaths. you would start out as a private and be promoted to differant ranks as you get more kills(also you could make up ranks ,no need to be specificly military ie:quantom tank)
joevano
General
General

Re: there should be a ranking system

Post by joevano »

That would really only work for FFA, it would not work well for CTF games or rabbit... or you would have to have multiple ranks, one for each type of game. It would also be ripe for abuse, the source code would all be available so it would be easy to "game" the system.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Sounds like you should play on one of the leagues.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by F687/s »

ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

blast wrote:Sounds like you should play on one of the leagues.
even on the the leagues you dont have ranks.

I've always wanted in game ranks that say like, what level you are or something. i'm not sure how hard it would be but just if someone made challenges that be put into the game and when you do that challenge you get points. and maybe like each kill you get a point or something, and it takes like 1000 points to raise a level. Pretty much thats how cod4 is.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

That is a closed source system...

BZFlag is open-source so anyone could easily scam the system (no matter what you came up with)... so NO it would not be that easy or even possible to have a fair ranking system.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
tigger888
Private
Private

Post by tigger888 »

thx guys for teh replies, ifk i thought it would be pretty cool to have a system like that(kinda like thease forums do). but yes i now understand that even if there was such a system it would be very prone to bieng cheated.
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

All is not lost - would it not be possible to run an 'un-official' ranking system among several co-operating server owners? If you kept track of scores via a closed source plugin, only loaded on a trusted group of servers, you could get quite a good ranking system going.

It would of course require intra-server co-operation, which I sometimes doubt our community is ready for.

I believe Planet MoFo operated a ranking system for MoFo servers for a short period. It fell flat on it's face from what I remember...
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
Zac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zac »

there is a ducati server up at the moment.. it has a ranking system...
tigger888
Private
Private

Post by tigger888 »

ducati. hmm