Req: Colorblind mode/mod for those of us that are RG blind.

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
newbie191
Private
Private

Req: Colorblind mode/mod for those of us that are RG blind.

Post by newbie191 »

Hey all, small (?) request, can you please allow people to choose the color displayed for various teams in the options menu? I'm more than a bit red/green color blind so teammates tend to get shot (or I get shot while I try to figure out if that's a red tank or a green tank.)

one of the reasons I tend to suck in online multiplayer games, apparently there are no color blind testers/designers out there :)

Thanks muchly, seems like a cool game if you can easily tell who is on which team :)
trepan
Dev Wizard
Dev Wizard

Re: Req: Colorblind mode/mod for those of us that are RG blind.

Post by trepan »

There are several BZDB variables which may help you:

roguecolor
redcolor
greencolor
bluecolor
purplecolor
rogueradar
redradar
greenradar
blueradar
purpleradar

These can be set in your config.cfg file, ex:
set redcolor "1 0 0"

The 3 numbers are RGB value (red, green, blue)

You can also edit the some textures in your data folder to change
their colors to better suit you.

edit: added missing quotation marks
Last edited by trepan on Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
newbie191
Private
Private

Post by newbie191 »

sweet thanks! that would definitely work for my needs. One question though, if I edit the config.cfg file in ~/.bzf/2.0/ then launch bzflag -config config.cfg (and connect to a 2 team server that's using red and green) it seems to be ignoring the line:

set redcolor 0 0 1

as the red tanks are still mostly red and not in fact blue. I've also tried

set redcolor 255 255 255 but the tanks aren't black (or white)

is there something else I need to do for the simple fix (before mucking with the textures) or is the config.cfg only used if I host a game?
z[h]ero
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by z[h]ero »

Edit:
Quotation marks are needed.
So
set redcolor "0 0 1"
would be blue.

And
set redcolor "1 1 1"
would be white.
Last edited by z[h]ero on Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wirth's law: "Software is getting slower more rapidly than hardware becomes faster."
newbie191
Private
Private

Post by newbie191 »

re config not being read:
Ah ha, forgot to mention, when I run bzflag without the -config config.cfg variable on my system it also replaces any changes I've made in config.cfg. But if I run via the command bzflag -config config.cfg it doesn't change the config file, so I assumed it was using the file...

re: "'s great, I'll play with it in the am :0
Last edited by newbie191 on Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
z[h]ero
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by z[h]ero »

newbie191 wrote:Ah ha, forgot to mention, when I run bzflag without the -config config.cfg variable on my system it also replaces any changes I've made in config.cfg.
It IS correct to not use "-config config.cfg". But in your case it deleted your changes as they were syntactical incorrect. You need to add quotation marks, like that (to get blue color):
set redcolor "0 0 1"
Wirth's law: "Software is getting slower more rapidly than hardware becomes faster."
newbie191
Private
Private

Post by newbie191 »

Ok, ran without the -config .... line, and it replaced my config.cfg with the default one, removing all of the below lines:

#The 3 numbers are RGB value (red, green, blue)
set redcolor "0 0 1"

the "#the 3... : should be remmed and as such not read by the program therefor not removed right?

anyways not only did it remove the line `set redcolor "0 0 1"`but during the game, the red tanks were not in fact blue. (this is with the ubuntu package fwiw)
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

The value stays in the configuration file for me. It might move it around though (I think it sorts alphabetically). However, it only seemed to make the team flag color change, not the radar icons for the tanks.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

z[h]ero
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by z[h]ero »

newbie191 wrote:the "#the 3... : should be remmed and as such not read by the program therefor not removed right?
First, my english translators doesn't know the term "remmed" or "remm" :wink: . But true, I didn't expect, too, that Bz removes comment-lines.
newbie191 wrote:anyways not only did it remove the line `set redcolor "0 0 1"`but during the game, the red tanks were not in fact blue. (this is with the ubuntu package fwiw)
When you add this line somewhere in the config.cfg and start Bz, then after closing Bz, it automatically sorts and put away 'set redcolor "0 0 1" alphabetical, like "Blast" mentioned!
In my config.cfg the 'set redcolor"-line is about in the middle of the file. It should be listed in your config.cfg, too, right?

Edit:
However, it only seemed to make the team flag color change, not the radar icons for the tanks.
Didn't check the color of the flag and radar icons. However it changed the color of the red tanks into blue, like expected.
Last edited by z[h]ero on Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I found another setting you can change in addition to redcolor.

set redradar "0 0 1"

Then the only other thing you would have to change is the tank textures.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

z[h]ero
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by z[h]ero »

Now I know why it seemed to just work on my system, and not on yours systems, as I had textures deactivated.

@newbie191:
Alternatively to blast's proposal you could deactivate textures, if you don't care about visualisation quality:
Options => Display settings => Texturing => Off
Then the "set color" command should work on your system, too.
Wreckage
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Wreckage »

Hmm, sorry if I am missing something obvious..

I have trouble differentiating rogue from green team tank dots on the radar. So how could I get a darker green? Or do I just need to make rogue black (is that possible)...
set greenradar "?"
z[h]ero
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by z[h]ero »

Firstly the values for each color (red, green, blue) goes from 0 to 1.

Setting green radar icon: set greenradar "0 x 0" (x is the value for green color, like trepan mentioned)
So set greenradar "0 1 0" would be the original green radar-tank-icon.
The more close the second number is to 0, all the more dark the green color gets, so for example set greenradar "0 0.7 0" would be a little bit darker green than the original color.

Yep, you can change the rogue-radar color to whatever color you want.
set rogueradar "0 0 0" would transform rogue into black.
Wreckage
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Wreckage »

z[h]ero wrote: Firstly the values for each color (red, green, blue) goes from 0 to 1.
Ohh, thanks that's what I didn't understand. I was trying things like "0 127 0", guess I got confused from "set redcolor 255 255 255".

Thanks z[h]ero

If I don't post again it's working fine...
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I imagine you can also use names of colors. There is a list of colors on the wiki that you could try.

http://my.bzflag.org/w/Color(BZW)

Agent West
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Agent West »

also ya'll can edit the textures themselves. go to "c:\program files\bzflag2.0.10\data\..." (default location in WinXP)
instead of 2.0.10, it might be 2.0.12 BZFlag version (depending on what you got)
open a texture in MSPaint (simplest) or any other immage aditor, and start editing! :)
as you might have guessed, that would only change color of tanks on HUD, and not on the radar
Rest in peace, AliceD (AKA Happy Alice)! miss ya!
ts
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by ts »

blast wrote:I imagine you can also use names of colors. There is a list of colors on the wiki that you could try.
Out of curiosity: Is BZFlag colour managed?

Red is not equal to red in different colour spaces (e.g. SRGB versus AdobeRGB) and as consequence the colours may not look like their name would imply. For example a sRGB picture of a human with normal white skin looks like the human had a sunburn in an unmanaged application in displays featuring wide gamut.
GU league: http://www.guleague.org/
An introduction to TCP: http://www.lafkon.net/tc/
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

ts wrote:Out of curiosity: Is BZFlag colour managed?
It's a game, not a publishing app...
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
ts
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by ts »

joevano wrote:It's a game, not a publishing app...
A browser is also no publishing app and good browsers have colour management. Picture viewers are also no publishing applications. Most non TN panel displays I heard of offer wide gamut.

BZFlag partly needs managed colours (e.g. sky, textures) and I'm considering to buy a wide gamut display - that's why I asked.
GU league: http://www.guleague.org/
An introduction to TCP: http://www.lafkon.net/tc/
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

that is left up to the OS in our case.
ImageJeffM
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Re: Req: Colorblind mode/mod for those of us that are RG bl

Post by optic delusion »

Bumping an old thread because i've had a few people with this issue lately.

Personally, I think editing the tank camouflage textures is an excellent option. Adding some white or another color to the tank textures will do a lot to make tanks more visible, but will not help with seeing team flags on radar.

It's important to note that the location of the config.cfg file may have changed since 2009. I can tell you that on an apple computer, in the finder you hold the option key while clicking the "GO" menu, which shows the "Library" folder. I'm no help on other OS's.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.