New server variables for controlling wind

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
clarahobbs
Private First Class
Private First Class

New server variables for controlling wind

Post by clarahobbs »

I think it would be an interesting addition to BZFlag to have wind. Wind would blow tanks and/or shots gently in one general direction, similar to wind in real life. All the aspects of wind could be controlled by server variables, described below.

_windDirection [0-360]
This variable controls the direction of wind. It measured in degrees of a circle from north, and is the direction in which all shots and tanks are slowly blown. It is a float. Defaults to 0.

_windObjects [0-3]
This variable controls what objects are blown with wind. If it is 0, it blows nothing (equivalent to _windSpeed 0, see below). If it is 1, it blows shots but not tanks. If it is 2, wind blows tanks but not shots. If it is set to 3, then it blows both shots and tanks. It is an int. Defaults to 0.

_windSpecial [0-1]
This variable controls wether lasers, shock waves, and guided missiles are affected by wind. If it is set to 1, it blows lasers, shock waves, and guided missiles are blown by wind. If it is set to 0, it does not blow these special shots. If _windObjects is set to 0 or 2, this variable does not do anything. It is an int. Defaults to 0.

_windSpeed [0-infinity]
This variable controls the speed of the wind. If it is 0, then the wind is off. The higher this variable is set, the faster the wind and the more it blows the objects affected. It is a float. Defaults to 0.

Please tell me what you think of this idea.
FKA Ratfink
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: New server variables for controlling wind

Post by Bambino »

I think it would be very fun but also (maybe) hard to implement. Would be great for wings and the map with high towers.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
Agent West
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Agent West »

something similar can be achieved by "linear" physics, but it will only move tanks around, not shots.
Rest in peace, AliceD (AKA Happy Alice)! miss ya!
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

Agent West wrote:something similar can be achieved by "linear" physics, but it will only move tanks around, not shots.
Nearly, but not quite. Wind would affect your tank most while you are not touching the ground, (since while your tank is on the ground, it is affected by friction). Whereas physics drivers would only take affect while your tank was touching the ground.

I think it's actually not a bad idea - although, it will probably be shot down as being too complicated, or difficult to implement (which would be an issue, as you would need to find somebody committed enough to put the time in to write it). I expect it would be harder than you think to implement. You need to take into consideration things like, what is the mass of the tank? The shots? What shape are the shots, for that matter? Should the shape of an object affect wind? What about wind blowing around buildings?
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
Agent West
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Agent West »

Spazzy McGee wrote:
Agent West wrote:something similar can be achieved by "linear" physics, but it will only move tanks around, not shots.
Nearly, but not quite. Wind would affect your tank most while you are not touching the ground, (since while your tank is on the ground, it is affected by friction). Whereas physics drivers would only take affect while your tank was touching the ground.
ok, i see now. in that case i do agree that it will be a neat idea :)
Rest in peace, AliceD (AKA Happy Alice)! miss ya!
tobylane
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tobylane »

Maybe a GoS project? Or whatever the Google Summer Coder thingy acronyms to.
Lee
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lee »

tobylane wrote:Maybe a GoS project? Or whatever the Google Summer Coder thingy acronyms to.

GSoC, and I like the idea .. A temporary thing could be done with physics and no jumping :P