Feature Request: Autopilot Perm

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
I_Died_Once
Special Forces
Special Forces

Feature Request: Autopilot Perm

Post by I_Died_Once »

Request: Give autopilot a perm.

So a server owner can give certain groups of people permission to run an autopilot instead of everyone. Give the perm to everyone by default and let server owners decide who gets to use it and who doesn't *if* they so choose.

Not sure about anyone else, but this would solve a headache of mine for sure.
...This has been a recording.
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Feature Request: Autopilot Perm

Post by Bambino »

That would be very useful, because some players just open a few clients on a few server press the AutoPilot button and leave. Also everyone complains about players on auto because auto pilot (for me anyways) just jitters and then jumps at the last possible second when a shot comes.
Nice idea.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

what do you exepect to happen if somone who dosn't have the perm tries to turn on autopilot?
ImageJeffM
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

One, a server message of some sort (You are currently not authorized to use AutoPilot)or, two, same thing as having -disableBots on. But it's I_Died_Once's idea.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

That can not happen in 2.0.x. It works now because there is a global bzdb var that everyone has and it prevents the autopilot from turning on at the client level (where the autopilot logic is handled).

Permissions are handled at the server level. If you did this in 2.0.x the server would have no way to tell the client "no you can't go autopilot" since the client would just start doing autopilot right after sending the message to the server. You would have to kick them.

To do what you want needs a protocol change, I have done the ground work it for 2.99.x( you can use a custom perm with a plugin if you wanted to). 2.99.x can now force autopilot to be on for a player from the server, in addition to allowing or denying the request on a per player basis.

For 2.0.x all you can really do is add an event on the server for when the autopilot message is received and kick them if they shouldn't have done that, because by then it's too late, they have gone into autopilot. There is no way in the current system to set the _disableBots bzdb var on a per player basis.
ImageJeffM
I_Died_Once
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by I_Died_Once »

I can understand if this change can only happen in 2.99 and on, and not in 2.0.x - I just hate it that either everyone or no one can go auto. I'd like to be able to reserve that ability for the chosen and select few. This would be awesome.

As for what to expect to happen when you try to go auto and don't have permission - how about handle it the same way as any other time when you try to do something you don't have permission to do. Have the server tell you "you do not have permission to engage autopilot on this server"

Just like "You do not have permission to spawn on this server" and "you do not have permission to talk on this server"

Thanks
...This has been a recording.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

yes, that's how I've done it in 2.99.x. autopilot is now a "request" and the server tells you if you can or can not.
ImageJeffM