read this it's got to be the coolest idea for a flag ever

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
puffball
Private First Class
Private First Class

read this it's got to be the coolest idea for a flag ever

Post by puffball »

The idea i thought of was to make a guided laser flag. it would be a laser that you can lock on with. now before you think this would be stupid and cheating remember how long the laser flag takes to reload and that is how long it would take to reload.ZAPPEDY ZAPPEDY :D :)
blast
General
General

Re: read this it's got to be the coolest idea for a flag ever

Post by blast »

This will never be added.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

How would this be fun for anybody except the person holding the flag? It's so over powered.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

Impossible to dodge, extremely over powered and a blatant cheat. Might I add Guided Geno while we're at it? (sarcastic)
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
Cheese Man
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Cheese Man »

not if you made it only like 5 shots before it was forcibly dropped, and also made it so that there was only one on the whole map, plus, if everything is rico, then it would probably just bounce back and hit you :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
-Cheese Out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
puffball
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by puffball »

thank you cheeseman that is what i was going to say before sniper started saying how bad it would be like always.
sniper15 wrote: Might I add Guided Geno while we're at it? (sarcastic)
I thought of that and its a really dumb idea so don't even think i would suggest that.
dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dango »

This has been suggested and shot down, you are not the first to think of it.

It's too powerful, and only fun for the player holding the flag, if even. No point in trying to convince anyone how great it is.
Carnage
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Carnage »

guided laser, remeber cant kill cloaking, lock on ST
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

Cheese Man wrote:not if you made it only like 5 shots before it was forcibly dropped, and also made it so that there was only one on the whole map, plus, if everything is rico, then it would probably just bounce back and hit you :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Flag shot limits and the number of given flags on a map are sever variables, so you couldn't force there to be only one, at a five shot limit on every server
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
*Boinkage*!
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by *Boinkage*! »

Yay...Campers now don't even have to try! *Tank appears* *Tank is destroyed* *Tank appears* *Tank is destroyed* *Tank appears* *Tank is destroyed* *Tank appears* *Tank is destroyed*

As you can see, this is a bad idea. No flag combos.
The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword.

Okay, you get a Bic, the orc gets a long sword.

He cuts the Bic in half.

Then he cuts you in half.

Oops, I meant quarters.
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

I could imagine Missile Wars like that. Camp in the top corner of the base wall with 'Guided Laser" and smoke them out, it's fun enough with GM but "GL" would be cheap and cruel.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
Agent West
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Agent West »

(sarcastiacally) Let's make all shots in Missle wars guided! Now let's go camping! :D

http://my.bzflag.org/w/Flag_ideas shows flag ideas, also tells you why the ideas are good/bad.
Rest in peace, AliceD (AKA Happy Alice)! miss ya!
RexFlex
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by RexFlex »

There was a guided laser cheat going around a while back. My thoughts are that any idea for a new flag which was already thought of by someone who creates cheat clients can't be a good idea.
"Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight, or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight, or if he bothers me, or if there's a woman, or if I'm gettin paid; mostly only when I'm gettin paid. But eating people alive, when does that get fun?"
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

RexFlex wrote:There was a guided laser cheat going around a while back. My thoughts are that any idea for a new flag which was already thought of by someone who creates cheat clients can't be a good idea.
Actually, that's how super-flags came to be in the first place... And look at the Wings flag. That was first a cheat, and now it's an actual flag.

After one of the students hacked the code to make his tank super-powerful (blatantly so; he wasn't trying to fool us) we invented superflags. The first four super flags were: high speed, quick turn, rapid fire, and oscillation overthruster.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

Wow, learn something new everyday. So in some sick twisted way cheaters somehow help bzflag?
I just wish they could use their skills for good and help bzflag out and not try to make it harder for players to have fun.
RexFlex
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by RexFlex »

blast wrote:Actually, that's how super-flags came to be in the first place... And look at the Wings flag. That was first a cheat, and now it's an actual flag.
Ah, interesting bit of history there that I didn't recall reading before that totally debunked my theory. :o :doh:

I do recall that there was a fair amount of dislike expressed for wings when they came in. There were concerns about wings being overpowered, especially when maps had them on unlimited jumps. But most maps and people's playstyle have since adjusted and usually wings don't show up as terrifically overpowered anymore. Wings improved the 3rd dimension of play in the game that was previously limited to jumping on and off blocks, and allowed development of new skills in the game play. It could be argued that they were a natural and inevitable evolution of the game.

Guided lasers would still be way too overpowered even with limited shots. You may as well have a flag that allows you to select any three players on the map to die instantly. GMs have this unskilled hits problem to a smaller extent, but at least they can be dodged by skilled players whereas a laser is too fast for that.

What we really need out of new flags are things that enhance player skills in new ways rather than replace them altogether.
"Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight, or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight, or if he bothers me, or if there's a woman, or if I'm gettin paid; mostly only when I'm gettin paid. But eating people alive, when does that get fun?"
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Wings in 3.0.0 will be less powerful, as you can't jump off a 500 unit building and then hit jump just before hitting the ground to avoid getting shot. The "flap" in 3.0.0 will instead just add the wings jump velocity to the current velocity (up to a clamped limit), instead of how 2.0.x just sets it to that speed.

Monster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Monster »

wow nice!
puffball
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by puffball »

well now remember this flag is still a ffected by rico and cant hit cloakers or lock on to stealthers. and like you guys said before other "cheat" flags got added so this one could be too.

well at least give it a chance :wink:
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Others have been, but this one won't be.