pass team-flag to player

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
applecake
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: pass team-flag to player

Post by applecake »

Yeah, that was what I meant. It's too quick for passing. :)
-Ehm.. Mr president, you got applecake in ur eye!
-Well..I see that..
=====================================
And now some advertising:
http://type-your-name-here.deviantart.com/gallery/ My Deviantart!
http://action.cubers.net/ Another fun and free game
FiringSquad
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by FiringSquad »

A server plug-in could handle this if you always throw a flag in front of you a set distance.

Whichever way you point your tank, the flag goes in that direction, to the nearest safe area, closest to the point exactly X distance in front of you.

OK, you're not passing directly to a player and the player still has to pick it up, but I think this will make the game even better.

To add to the skill-level, your tank's speed could add momentum to the flag, making it go further. That way you could even pass backwards, or just drop it in the current position.

In fact, I think this would be a nice enhancement to the normal game too. Perhaps with a map configuration FlagDropMomentum, with 0 meaning just drop in current position and some other number being the distance that the flag would travel while going at full speed.

The more I think of it, the more I think this could be a really fun addition.
It could totally revive the Ducati League, except that on some rare occasions, a map might allow you to pass the flag into a location from which it can not be retrieved. I guess this situation would call for a flag-reset or perhaps another map.
FiringSquad
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by FiringSquad »

FiringSquad wrote:Whichever way you point your tank, the flag goes in that direction, to the nearest safe area, closest to the point exactly X distance in front of you.
Calculating the "nearest safe place" might be a little too difficult, especially when you are on a platform. Perhaps therefore the flag should first attempt to go to position X at your current height, and if the surface below you is not safe, then try a "step" closer. That way you only need to test along the "line of sight". Also the "step" can be bigger than one pixel. If you can't pass the flag accurately, then you can't complain if the flag ends a lot closer to you than you expect.
zaphod
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by zaphod »

FiringSquad wrote:A server plug-in could handle this if you always throw a flag in front of you a set distance. ...
Good thinking FS! and I am sure this could work!
FiringSquad wrote:The more I think of it, the more I think this could be a really fun addition.
It could totally revive the Ducati League, except that on some rare occasions, a map might allow you to pass the flag into a location from which it can not be retrieved. I guess this situation would call for a flag-reset or perhaps another map.
another map I would say ::: a whole series of new maps actually! I just like very much the idea of seeing football (aka soccer ;-) playing tanks !!!

die muszx double
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by die muszx double »

Please tell me if this has been suggested before.

Lets say the teams are Green and Blue. You will see why you need to know this later.

So, you have your maps (as zaphod said), and you have 2 flags scattered around the pitch. (If someone made the pitch a rectangle that would be good) The 2 flags are SR and R* or P*. You tackle someone by shooting them or driving into them with SR. Players cannot die. When a player gets shot the flag goes to the person who shot them. Blue shoots Green (who has flag), flag goes to blue. But, if a person gets tked, then the flag will go to the middle.

Maybe we could start a league?

Feedback please! (If anyone has ideas, please quote and change the text)

Edit:

This would be kind of like the old soccer league in BZFlag, but this one would be built upon the idea of passing the flag from player to player
My apple mac is natural

die muszx double
FiringSquad
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by FiringSquad »

As soon as I can find the time, I intend to write the plug-in described here in this link

This will allow passing in a way that requires a certain amount of skill.
Let me know what you think.
If enough people are interested, it will encourage me to do it.
zaphod
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by zaphod »

all my moral support on this one FS! unfortunately the only support I can provide as a non programmer!
but I am sure you will make it happen and a [huge]THANKS[/huge] for all the time that will go into it!
it will be a lot of fun to play this new game-style and you will help to widen the fun-factor of this already great game!
io
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by io »

hm... good idea :) would create a hole new playing style :D

well, i don't see a reason why you shouldn't be able to modifie the client to be able to lock on players without gm.

and the server could handle the rest :D

For me a definite yes
Marzipan

Why be normal when you can be yourself?

We dance because we can not fly

Legalize it!

I created a map, i just can't remeber because i were high.

bzflag.norang.ca
Openleague
Linuxratings
Soccer-Tournament
Crallion
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Crallion »

Sending flags is a current standard in cheat clients... You PM someone "/send" and they get your flag... :wink:
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately, it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

To err is human. To really foul up requires the root password.
io
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by io »

i still don't see a reason why you shouldn't do it. just because it is considered cheating, doesn't mean used by the right people (with responsible) wouldn't be fun :)

If everyone knows the rules, and follows them (eg. just use the command if you have the flag etc.)

But what i mean is that you modify the client to lock on, and the server todo the rest
Marzipan

Why be normal when you can be yourself?

We dance because we can not fly

Legalize it!

I created a map, i just can't remeber because i were high.

bzflag.norang.ca
Openleague
Linuxratings
Soccer-Tournament
Janis
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Janis »

well the idea is great.>>>

but there also should be zones/(perimeter) = the maximum distance how far can be flag sent..
otherwise it would be a bad idea..
just imagine that opponent has your flag and his mate is on the otherside of a map close to his capture zone (aka base) just waiting when his mate will grab the flag and pass it to him.
same with the passcamping, if somebody goes for the passcamp imagine what will happen:D

>>> and i think it's not that hard to make a plugin for the /flag give "locked target"

because the command allready exists, it's only called /flag give "nickname" and is the admin cmd..

just an idea...

/bind "any key" drop flag | If there is "locked target" then drop flag = /flag give to "locked target" mdl=x(m), else drop flag = drop flag; where x is the number and m is the distance in metres
mdl= maximum distance length

but of course there is more to be written in the code than those 4 shells
Last edited by Janis on Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cygal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Cygal »

Janis, you asked where was the code which parsed the /flag give command in the #bzflag channel, but left, so I'll answer here. It's in the FlagCommand::operator() function, line 1422 of src/bzfs/commands.cxx file. Hope that helps.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I don't think the server tracks who you have locked on to. (also, you don't technically "lock on" unless you have GM)
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Janis
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Janis »

@ cygal, yeah i have found it allready:) but anyway ty..
@ blast , well yeah you are right... i can't lock on a target without gm... but
what about Looking at "nickname""team" instead of locking on a target?

so that

/bind "any key" drop flag | If there is "looking player at "nickname"teamcolor" then drop flag = /flag give to "looking player at "nickname""teamcolor" mdl=x(m), else drop flag = drop flag; where x is the number and m is the distance in metres
mdl= maximum distance length
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

The server doesn't know about that. The player you are locked onto might be part of the GM update message, but I don't know if the server keeps track of that. However, if it does go through the server, you could store that with a bzfs mod. Still isn't going to be useful for your idea. You would need to modify the client as well.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Crallion
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Crallion »

Yes, modified client, that's what I was trying to say earlier.
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately, it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

To err is human. To really foul up requires the root password.
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

You would probably want to add it into 2.99.X/ 3.0.0, as most servers don't allow modified clients.

[EDIT] What I mean is, 2.0.X servers normally don't allow modified clients, so you would want to submit a patch and hope it gets added to 2.99.X/3.0.0
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague