Poll Ban Reason

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Poll Ban Reason

Post by Bambino »

What if in 3.0.0 you could stat a reason in the poll ban after the name.

Code: Select all

/poll ban Bambino total awesomeness
and then
1) players don't need to tell everyone the reason
2) when a admin checks the banlist for a poll ban he can see what it was for and reban for a longer time (cheating)
3) for the banned player to know why (should be obvious)
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
javawizard2539
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Poll Ban Reason

Post by javawizard2539 »

I think this is an excellent idea. I get so tired of having to explain to people why I'm pollbanning someone. And then invariably, someone opposes it before I can say a reason because "they didn't know the reason when I started the poll".
Alexander Boyd
clarahobbs
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by clarahobbs »

I think that's a great idea. Would be very useful so that whenever someone polls, you don't see a bunch of messages like "why?".
FKA Ratfink
Bullet Catcher
Captain
Captain

Post by Bullet Catcher »

A patch implementing this suggestion would be very likely to be accepted by the developers.
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

/me doesn't know one thing about C++ or other types of code :?
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
lep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by lep »

/me doesnt either!

But I do think this feature will take away a lot of confusion between players...
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

LittleLep wrote: But I do think this feature will take away a lot of confusion between players...
That's one of the main points for this, other is for admins to know if they should re-ban a player if they check the banlist and see a "cheat" or some other reason.
lep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by lep »

The only problem with this Bambino is what if some did /poll ban Bambino "cheating"

We know your a completely fair player, btw. So when an admin comes, and sees the banlist, he will extend your ban. Originally, you weren't doing anything wrong...
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

Personally, I would never blindly extend a poll ban, even if there was a reason like 'cheating' attached. As LittleLep points out, somebody could add 'cheating' on whether the banee really was cheating or not.

In fact, I would be worried that people might start trying to rush bans through by putting 'cheating' or similar for the reason. People would be unreasonably swayed to vote yes, even if the banee did nothing wrong, and it was just another player being an arsehole and starting a poll for no reason.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
javawizard2539
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by javawizard2539 »

Spazzy McGee wrote:In fact, I would be worried that people might start trying to rush bans through by putting 'cheating' or similar for the reason. People would be unreasonably swayed to vote yes, even if the banee did nothing wrong, and it was just another player being an arsehole and starting a poll for no reason.
But at that point, they could just answer "cheating" to the question of "why" that always comes up. This would appear to me to have the same effect. if cheating was used as the pollban message, and the person wasn't obviously cheating, I would ask for more information on what exactly is going on before voting yes.
Alexander Boyd
lep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by lep »

Between this, we have only two choices:
1. Add this feature to 2.99.x and trust the ones who make the polls
2. Stick to using /report and have server owners check it on a regular basis (which isnt done today)

Its one or the other and each has its own pros and cons...
javawizard2539
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by javawizard2539 »

LittleLep wrote:1. Add this feature to 2.99.x and trust the ones who make the polls
Why trust them? I don't trust anyone's reason for a poll, even when they say it in a normal chat message. The main reason I can see for using a reason in a poll is so that people don't have to ask "why". If someone starts a pollban with the reason being "tk", everyone's going to page up to see whether the person is actually tk'ing, and then they'll vote. People can (and most likely will) still check that the reason given is a legitimate reason.
Alexander Boyd
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

javawizard2539 wrote:
LittleLep wrote:1. Add this feature to 2.99.x and trust the ones who make the polls
Why trust them? I don't trust anyone's reason for a poll, even when they say it in a normal chat message. The main reason I can see for using a reason in a poll is so that people don't have to ask "why". If someone starts a pollban with the reason being "tk", everyone's going to page up to see whether the person is actually tk'ing, and then they'll vote. People can (and most likely will) still check that the reason given is a legitimate reason.
Adding onto this - I have seen countless bans for the reason "cheating" or "hax" Many, if not all registered player will vote if it's a blatant cheat (god mode, "I didn't tk you but and I didn't shoot" cheats) and the harder ones to get a successful poll are the subtle ones.

If the player is swearing like it's the only words he knows then the players will also vote.