Time Stamps

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
slime
Private First Class
Private First Class

Time Stamps

Post by slime »

Hope this hasn't been suggested before. I just thought it would be a nice new feature to add optional time stamps onto the chat box in-game. It could be made to toggle on/off in the GUI settings.

This is one of those small things that throughout my years of playing BZFlag I have always kind of hoped for. A lot of players tend to go away from keyboard a lot in observer mode (including me), and it would be nice to know how long ago a specific message was sent to you.

Just an idea, I know it's not necessary but I would love to see it implemented. Perhaps I'm not the only one who would find it useful :D

slime
lep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Time Stamps

Post by lep »

I kinda understand what your looking for: a time that shows the last time a player sent a message? If this is the case, I think it isnt the best idea. Half the observers I know may not talk, but we know they are there.

maybe change ur idea to show the time that the user interacted with the client via mouse or keyboard. After maybe 2mins the server will show the last time a player interacted with the client...
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

LittleLep wrote:I kinda understand what your looking for: a time that shows the last time a player sent a message? If this is the case, I think it isnt the best idea. Half the observers I know may not talk, but we know they are there.

maybe change ur idea to show the time that the user interacted with the client via mouse or keyboard. After maybe 2mins the server will show the last time a player interacted with the client...
No, he wants the time that every message was received by the client (possibly including every kind of message, such as kills and people joining/leaving, not just chat messages). Example:

Code: Select all

02:41:53 blast: hello
02:41:59 blast: how is everyone tonight?
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

lep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by lep »

Oh but he is also saying that he wants this to be able to tell when a player said his/her last message so he knew whether the sender was AFK or not.

So I said, why not implenent another idea which tells the server the last time a player interacts with the client.

ll
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

No, he didn't say anything about the "last" message. He said a "specific" message.
slime wrote:it would be nice to know how long ago a specific message was sent to you.
But anyway... Yes, that would be a nice feature, slime. Now you just have to find someone that will code it. ;)
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

tobylane
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tobylane »

Chat already needs wordwrap, this good idea needs that more as well. I hope it's done.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

tobylane wrote:Chat already needs wordwrap, this good idea needs that more as well. I hope it's done.
Chat already has wordwrap.

slime
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by slime »

blast wrote:No, he didn't say anything about the "last" message. He said a "specific" message.

But anyway... Yes, that would be a nice feature, slime. Now you just have to find someone that will code it. ;)
Yes blast, you have the right idea that I was trying to get across.

And that is why I suggested this in the Enhancements forum, in the far out chance that some coder likes this idea and writes it ;)
clarahobbs
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by clarahobbs »

It actually sounds easy to write, assuming C++ has a time module like Python does. I haven't really looked at the standart library for a programming language I haven't learned yet.
FKA Ratfink