Page 1 of 1

Map Thumbnail

Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:40 am
by clarahobbs
I think that it would be a cool feature for BZFlag to have a map thumbnail image when you selected a map from the list server. It would work like this: Join Game > Find Server > [select server]. There would then be a small image (200x200 or 300x300) as a preview of the map or whatever the server owner wants right on the Join Game page. It could be selected with a command-line option in the server. Please tell me what you think.

Re: Map Thumbnail

Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 1:33 am
by Bambino
I like it. Would be useful for some maps not having to download millions of textures just to view a map you won't play on.

Re: Map Thumbnail

Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:28 am
by lep
I like it too! Good time saver and worth th code...What kind of command-line option? Expand a bit more on that.

Re: Map Thumbnail

Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 3:18 am
by JeffM
the problem would be preventing a server owner from picking an image that may not actually be of the map, and may be inappropriate for all users. We have the same problems with textures, that's why we have the download access file, and images.bzflag.org.

Re: Map Thumbnail

Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 10:47 am
by Spazzy McGee
JeffM wrote:the problem would be preventing a server owner from picking an image that may not actually be of the map, and may be inappropriate for all users. We have the same problems with textures, that's why we have the download access file, and images.bzflag.org.
You could add a -thumbnail line to the bzfs options, and make it obey the same rules as textures do. (i.e. downloadaccess.txt). Then, only display the thumbnail for servers that have the -thumbnail option turned on and meet the requirements, otherwise don't display anything.

Oh, and before anybody suggests it, you couldn't get an automatic screenshot from a fixed point on the map - some maps have false floors/walls, or aren't a standard shapes and sizes. So you'd get some weird screenshots.

I suppose you could have the first admin observer to join the map select an appropriate screenshot - that way they wouldn't be able to stick in an unsavory image - it would have to be the current map. Unless they modified their client, of course.

Re: Map Thumbnail

Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:28 pm
by clarahobbs
I was thinking that the thumbnail could be on the ISS (not the space station) and could be made by the map maker, an admin, or the server owner. It would be chosen with -thumbnail <uri of image>.

Re: Map Thumbnail

Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:44 pm
by blast
Spazzy McGee wrote:I suppose you could have the first admin observer to join the map select an appropriate screenshot - that way they wouldn't be able to stick in an unsavory image - it would have to be the current map. Unless they modified their client, of course.
Unless the point of running the server was to do just that.
Ratfink wrote:I was thinking that the thumbnail could be on the ISS (not the space station) and could be made by the map maker, an admin, or the server owner. It would be chosen with -thumbnail <uri of image>.
That doesn't solve the problem that JeffM described.

The feature would be much too open to abuse.

Re: Map Thumbnail

Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:49 pm
by clarahobbs
Yeah, I guess you're right about it not fixing the "wrong map" problem. But then, why would a server owner purposely put in a picture of the wrong map?

Re: Map Thumbnail

Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:52 pm
by khazhyk
Ratfink wrote:Yeah, I guess you're right about it not fixing the "wrong map" problem. But then, why would a server owner purposely put in a picture of the wrong map?
JeffM wrote:the problem would be preventing a server owner from picking an image that may not actually be of the map, and may be inappropriate for all users. We have the same problems with textures, that's why we have the download access file, and images.bzflag.org.
Reading is very good.

Re: Map Thumbnail

Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 3:54 pm
by joevano
me1 wrote:Reading is very good.
But generally not practiced here... ;)

Re: Map Thumbnail

Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 10:06 pm
by clarahobbs
Um...I did read it. The images would be on the image submission system, so they couldn't be inappropriate. There could even be a section in it for "map thumbnails" and then the maintainers of the sub. sys. would know not to just allow textures there. Therefore, as I said, the only problem would be if someone put a picture of the wrong map, and why would he do that?

Re: Map Thumbnail

Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:34 pm
by blast
Ratfink wrote:Um...I did read it. The images would be on the image submission system, so they couldn't be inappropriate. There could even be a section in it for "map thumbnails" and then the maintainers of the sub. sys. would know not to just allow textures there. Therefore, as I said, the only problem would be if someone put a picture of the wrong map, and why would he do that?
I think the meaning of "ISS" was lost. I assume you mean the "Image Submission System"? It's typically just referred to as images.bzflag.org or IBO.

Re: Map Thumbnail

Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:37 pm
by clarahobbs
Yes, that's what I meant. I didn't know that was what it's usually called.