lag/jitter gauge

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
SpringTank
Private First Class
Private First Class

lag/jitter gauge

Post by SpringTank »

In bzflag 3.0 is there going to be a lag/jitter gauge? It could display your lag and/or jitter in real time so you always know how much your lagging or how much your jitter is. It could help if your debugging you network and trying to get your lag down, and so you don't have to keep using the lagstats command.
gentle giant
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: lag/jitter gauge

Post by gentle giant »

its actually not that hard to do lagstats. its /lagstats for a general command or i just press o then enter and it comes up becuase i always see how terrible i am doing. It would be annoying if u had a gauge in your window and dont even use it.
My motives from an awesome teacher:

"If life gives you lemons, make lemonade"

"If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail"
jeff
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by jeff »

but if u press "o" to many times on some servers u get kicked for spamming,the fish's way is better because u cant get kiked for spamming
I Just Saved A Bunch Of Money On My Car Insurance.....By Fleeing The Scene Of The Accident.

To See Some Map Reviews go to http://bzmr.wordpress.com/

Dont beleive what you see
On the plain of sanity
Never tell what u beleive
Tell not the ideas that be

Beleif is just a dream
Even reality it seems
Learn to live
Everyday
In a
Variety of
Endless dreams

Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

Then just check the lagstats less frequently...
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dango »

A hide-able lag gauge for lag like for fps would be nice
gentle giant
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by gentle giant »

The problem is lagstats is totally different. A gauge would only check your own lag and jitter while most people check it to check everyone elses. And how much people actually check there lagstats. Some people probably dont even know what lag and jitter are :wink:
My motives from an awesome teacher:

"If life gives you lemons, make lemonade"

"If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail"
lep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by lep »

I agree with a client-side optional gauge that displays where the date is. if u wanna check others, then use O
Balu
Private
Private

Post by Balu »

Yes I know I'm stupid 'couse I don't know what should I do If my lag/jitter is too high. I always ask my teammates but they never help me. Once I asked "What should I do if my jitter is too high?" and somebody told me that I must close every program witch can use intrenet. I closed everything and I started play again, and few minutes later the server kicked me off. :cry:
Can you help me what should I du if my lag/jitter is too high?
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

1. Close down any unnecessary programs and services, even if they don't use the Internet. Close browsers, chat clients, update services, and anything that would eat up CPU power or bandwidth. You could try Game Booster, but that would be at your own risk. While it shouldn't cause any issues, it's not something that we can say for sure. (A reboot would likely fix any issues it would cause)

2. If you use wifi (wireless to an access point in your house) then try either moving closer to the access point, changing the wifi channel to one with less interference, or use a network cable instead of wifi.

3. If you use wireless internet (satellite, cellular modems, tethered cell phone, etc) then you probably won't be able to play real-time games like BZFlag. They just aren't designed for that kind of communication and will have high lag, jitter, and/or packet loss.

4. Upgrade various drivers, including network and graphics. There may be performance improvements in newer driver versions that will help.

5. Run spyware/adware/malware/virus scans to ensure that nothing bad is beating up your computer while you're trying to play.

If none of that helps, then it's possible your computer or Internet connection are just too poor to play the game.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

tobylane
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tobylane »

Canadian Baconator wrote:Some people probably dont even know what lag and jitter are :wink:
Equally so with the over toggable things like FPS.

Is some useful form of this realistic? We'd only want it, and more importantly someone will only make it, if its useful and not damaging for everyone to be running it.
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

tobylane wrote:
Canadian Baconator wrote:Some people probably dont even know what lag and jitter are :wink:
Equally so with the over toggable things like FPS.
Is some useful form of this realistic? We'd only want it, and more importantly someone will only make it, if its useful and not damaging for everyone to be running it.
The FPS data is very useful to map makers optimizing their maps. Why would it need to be useful to many other people, to the degree that we need some graphical representation? If you're in a situation where you need FPS data, by definition, you're going to know what FPS is before you start.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
tobylane
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tobylane »

Same, normally you judge lag by playing, if you need a definitive number like below or over 200ms, then you'd use this.