Some ideas

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
AD Epoch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Some ideas

Post by AD Epoch »

Hi guys, just some ideas for you to consider or shoot down:

The ability to lay a mine (probably visible so you can avoid or die by not paying attention)

being notified of when an observer is looking through your eyes. Or even see where roaming observers are, if they want let the player know.

use the sapi 5 speech processing to voice chat messages (optional of course). I did this for Skype messages once and it worked a treat, providing that you have a voice you like on your PC.

What do other think of these?

thanks,
AD Epoch

ps forgot a few others:

There is currently no insentive to ctf on some maps. If you got points for all the opposition players that die when you ctf, just like when you geno someone, then there would be an incentive.

Also losing points when you get TKed is a bit rich. I think that this should be changed.
Last edited by AD Epoch on Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Some ideas

Post by Bambino »

Mines - use the Useless mine plugin

Observer Notifier - What if you're watching a suspected cheater and they see you watching you
They'd just turn them off.

So now the blind can play?

/me cuts them all down. :| sorry
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I don't see a need for text-to-speech in the game (not to mention that the SAPI 5 API is only for Windows... you do know that we support more than that, right?). I don't need to hear "lol" and "idiot" every 20 seconds, and many people can read faster than it would output the speech.

As for an incentive in CTF, write a plugin for BZFlag 3.0.0 that does that. You will be able to alter player scores in that version.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

AD Epoch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by AD Epoch »

Hi, and thanks for the replies.

I'm a little confused though. If this was a forum for giving ideas for improvement, then why do people always tell ME to make the plugins? I don't know much about BZFlag's code, or FPS code in general. The best windows game I ever made was one that had sprites of letters and read out allowed what the letter was, for kids to learn their alphabet. I'm afraid all I can do is give ideas at the moment... maybe one day i'll be able to do more....In the mean time that warm fuzzy feeling of capping for my team is wearing thin.

Yes I know SAPI 5 is only on windows, but that wouldn't be that bad, and it would only be optional anyway. I might be able to think about writing a plugin for that, as I've done somethign like that before for Skype....

In regards to observers and cheats, couldn't we use the method the police use with speeding drivers, laying obvious speed cameras around to deter drivers. (On the lighter side that could also be a good way for BZFlag to get revenue:)).

Maybe I'll have a look through the code one day and see what I can do with it. How do plugins plug in?

What improvements are being planned for the next release?

Thanks guys,

AD Epoch
Shalom BahShem
Yehoshua, Meshiakh
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

AD Epoch wrote: How do plugins plug in?
It's very hard work. You load the plugin onto a memory stick, go to the server, and plug it in.

Sorry, I have been waiting to say that

But really
In-game =

Code: Select all

/loadplugin /path/to/plugin
In Config =

Code: Select all

-loadplugin /path/to/plugin
why do people always tell ME to make the plugins?
Because you asked/requested it, devs don't really have time, some player might like it and code it up.
In regards to observers and cheats, couldn't we use the method the police use with speeding drivers, laying obvious speed cameras around to deter drivers.
Uhhhh... Don't most server have the line

"****NO CHEATING AT ALL OR I'LL BAN YOU***"

And yet, people still cheat.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

You wouldn't do the SAPI5 thing as a plugin, since plugins are only for the server. You would have to directly modify the BZFlag client code.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

blast wrote:As for an incentive in CTF, write a plugin for BZFlag 3.0.0 that does that. You will be able to alter player scores in that version.
This is an old plugin: http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=7998
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

allejo wrote:
blast wrote:As for an incentive in CTF, write a plugin for BZFlag 3.0.0 that does that. You will be able to alter player scores in that version.
This is an old plugin: http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=7998
It would not work on current BZFS versions (2.0.12/13), you would have to compile a new version for it to work.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Bambino wrote:It would not work on current BZFS versions (2.0.12/13), you would have to compile a new version for it to work.
It would not work at all in 2.0.x, whether you could get it to compile or not. Player scores CANNOT be changed by the server in 2.0.x, ever.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln