Team controled auto guns.

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
Bippwatt
Private First Class
Private First Class

Team controled auto guns.

Post by Bippwatt »

Have like a MG turret that is fixed and auto shoots at enemy tanks.
You could also use:
Laser
Super Bullet
GM?
Or just basic guns.

Give them some sort of defense that weakens as it gets hit then it dies.
Or they get hit and die.

This might be nice for CTF....have to rely less on crap tons of tanks in the base....and it balances...10 guys on red and blue attack the other teams base and the auto guns defend.
Pure Rage is only useful when you have the Useless flag.

Death is just one more way for Life to be a real jerk.

I would feel sorry for you, but the sound of my 500+ score is just too distracting.

Tanks. We made them so we wouldn't have put ourselves in needless danger...so what do we do? We make things that blow tanks up as easy as killing any infantry fool. We did that with jets too...and bows, and catapults and.....is anyone seeing a pattern? I am.
tobylane
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Team controled auto guns.

Post by tobylane »

Nope, the current turret defence game up at the moment proves it a bad idea. It is either far too easy to one side and mean to the other, or requires out of the box thought and coding.

Relying on tanks? It's a tank game.
adameros
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by adameros »

"requires out of the box thought"

This is a bad thing? O_o
tobylane
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tobylane »

Not at all, I just mean the only idea like this isn't good, so I'd expect a good result to be quite different, probably involving coding.
Quantum Tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Quantum Tank »

Well, there are already world weapons that can probably be set up to "defend" a base, but they can't be controlled by tanks. There is also a plugin that allows players in a certain area to control a world weapon, like a turret (see the turret-based maps by Robbe or flying_popcorn to see what I mean). This plugin is still buggy and somewhat of a novelty but I think its pretty much what you're describing.

Also, world objects that can be damaged and killed will probably never happen (bzflag players are sometimes very picky about keeping the game simple).
Bippwatt
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bippwatt »

I don't want them to be controlled by a tank. I want them to be automatic. Like a World Weapon. Only it only shoots when it sees a tank that doesn't belong to the team that is belongs to.
Pure Rage is only useful when you have the Useless flag.

Death is just one more way for Life to be a real jerk.

I would feel sorry for you, but the sound of my 500+ score is just too distracting.

Tanks. We made them so we wouldn't have put ourselves in needless danger...so what do we do? We make things that blow tanks up as easy as killing any infantry fool. We did that with jets too...and bows, and catapults and.....is anyone seeing a pattern? I am.
lep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by lep »

So basically when the World Weapon spots you...BANG ur dead. No defense from it...not a great idea
Quantum Tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Quantum Tank »

Well littlelep if they're regular bullets you can easily dodge them.

Bippwatt I think that is also possible too. I remember a Hix dodge trainer that had ww's shoot at you only when you were in a specific zone. I suppose the plugin could be changed so that you can make it only shoot at a certain team.
lep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by lep »

Sure but a laser weapon?
Sure an auto-shoot is good for dodge trainer...but only dodge training.
In CTF, there are 3 roles...you, the opponent, and the flag. worrying about another way to die is strategy-changing and just too much.

my opinion, and its not my choice.
lep.
gentle giant
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by gentle giant »

Being a map maker i know that there are a ton of ways you could put this. I put a Weapon go off every 10 seconds in one of my maps, only for one area. You can also make lazors and bullets go off at a certain angle every 10 or so seconds also. And QT, i remember that hix dodge trainor and i guess according to that you can make a World Weapon of some sort go off when some tank goes into a zone. There are also a lot of games with Turrets. I remember that one on Bzbattleground when 6 turrets defend the flag. And also if im not mistaken Jefenry made a map with one also. So what you want would basically be a turret in a special position where your tank can reach it a kill a tank in a certain spot.

Now i wonder could there be a guided missle World Weapon? :)
My motives from an awesome teacher:

"If life gives you lemons, make lemonade"

"If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail"
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

gentle giant wrote:Now i wonder could there be a guided missle World Weapon? :)
IIRC, someone (a dev?) did it with a BZFS mod. It can also be done with a plugin.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
Strakowski
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Strakowski »

If you just want turrets that aim themselves, it would be a fairly simple task to write a plugin for that (The bz_fireWorldWep function makes things easy). However, it could possibly be the most annoying plugin to every be compiled, so let's just keep this at a hypothetical stage.
Ragnarok
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ragnarok »

What if tanks could pick up a turret flag and when they drop the flag, it starts building a turret. But it would take time for it to build a turret, so the person would have to defend the turret. If the other team gets to the turret and waits there for a while, then the turret will build itself, but for the other team. Also, the turret could be controlled by a person. They could get into the turret, aim and fire. And, the other team could snipe the guy out of the turret. And it could be set so that the turret falls apart after it is hit maybe 50 times, or after a few minutes.

Complexity added to the game would only make it more fun.
"Before all else, be armed." -Niccolo Machiavelli
"It is not titles that honor men, but men that honor titles." - N.M.
"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared." - N.M.
"He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not will be victorious." - Sun Tzu
"I am not afraid of an army of lions lead by a sheep, but I am afraid of an army of sheep lead by a lion." - Alexander the Great
"War does not determine who is right - only who is left." - Bertrand Russell
"To win a war, you don't die for your country, you make the other guy die for his country."
"The way to win a war is to make certain it never starts." - Omar Bradley
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

This will never be added. You cannot change the physical layout of the map without restarting the server.

Complexity would only add confusion to the game. BZFlag is simple for the most part.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague