A Few Ideas

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
cepris
Private First Class
Private First Class

A Few Ideas

Post by cepris »

Hey, I have come up with a few ideas that you may like to implement. Some of them are just for improvements to make people's lives easier, and others are completely new things.

Start Server: This feature should not have all the options it does now. Instead, the only option it should have is "World Map". The other options are very annoying, especially as "Start Server" could have been a very easy way to test a map.

Map Editor: A possible implement for new releases is a built-in Map Editor. On the side, there should be a toolbox, containing, Box, Pyramid, Base, Flag, Teleporter, Spawn, etc. When you choose one of these, you can go into extra detail, for example, choose flag, base type, teleport linking, etc.

Team Buffs: These could be a possible idea. When a player collects a Team Buff flag (which there will be different types of), the effect of it will apply to all team members. A player can have up to two Team Buffs at once, as well as their personal flag.
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: A Few Ideas

Post by Bambino »

Your start server idea: Start server has been removed from the client code and turned into a different program for the next major release of BZFlag.

Map Editor: not everyone needs or wants to make maps. There are many different ways and programs to create maps, such as any text editor, bzedit, ibzedit, wings 3d, and blender to name a few.

Team Buff: tanks will never be able to carry more than one flag. I believe this is a design choice.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
mrapple
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by mrapple »

EDIT: Bambino and I posted at the same time, basically saying the same thing.

Anyways, overall BZFlag is dying, so there's not really a point putting much time/effort into it anyways.
cepris
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cepris »

mrapple: NO! how can bzflag die! :cry:

Well, just a question, I use Ubuntu 10.04, and downloaded BZFlag from Ubuntu Software Center. When I go to System Updates, will Updates for BZFlag come, or will I have to do it manually? Thanks! :)
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

By bzflag updates you mean new client releases? Yes, but it takes FOREVER. I believe ubuntu currently has 2.0.12 and the latest official release is 2.0.18(?). It's faster and better to compile it yourself on your computer.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
trepan
Dev Wizard
Dev Wizard

Post by trepan »

The latest current release version is 2.0.16.
cepris
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cepris »

Ah I see. Well, I suck at compiling things myself, I'd rather die. Okay maybe not die.. but I'd rather use the Windows side of installing :p (even though Windows is the most horrible OS ever invented).
darkid
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by darkid »

Bambino wrote:Your start server idea: Start server has been removed from the client code and turned into a different program for the next major release of BZFlag.
I assume you mean 3.0... but how far's that?
Darkid--Not a happy camper.
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

Of course I mean 3.0 :) it's highly unlikely it will ever be released
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Point is that we're not gonna fix the Start Server menu in any way, since we want it gone.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

cepris
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cepris »

Bambino wrote:Of course I mean 3.0 :) it's highly unlikely it will ever be released
Really? I think that is soo stupid! I hope they do release it, because I really love BZFlag.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

wildrune11 wrote:Really? I think that is soo stupid! I hope they do release it, because I really love BZFlag.
3.0 has a lot of problems (bugs) and no one is working on it. BZFlag 3.0 is dead at this point in time.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
cepris
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cepris »

Ah. I see. Well get working *hint, hint*
darkid
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by darkid »

Which we've been saying for (2) years. I think.
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

I think it's been more than 3 years...I don't think anyone is motivated right now to work on it, the developers do it on their own time and they don't get paid.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

3.0 has been in development for over 5 years.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

darkid
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by darkid »

Well, shucks. When did the pre-alpha come out along that development trail?
cepris
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cepris »

WOAH! 5 years!? That's quite a long time.. considering I have only been playing since about August 2010.
Yrogirg
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Yrogirg »

joevano wrote:3.0 has a lot of problems (bugs) and no one is working on it. BZFlag 3.0 is dead at this point in time.
Maybe it worth fixing some critical bugs, leaving others, and release BZFlag 3.0 codename "Vista" (or Millennium Edition).
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Not even the critical bugs are being worked on.