Change screenshot directory back

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
Propane Tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Change screenshot directory back

Post by Propane Tank »

It would be nice if you changed the screen shot directory back to what it was in Windows. I have Vista, so it's a bit easier to get to it compared to XP, but still, it's easier to open the bzflag directory than the appdata folder since Windows hides it. Just out of curiosity, why did you change the directory?
-Propane Tank
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Re: Change screenshot directory back

Post by JeffM »

because "my bzflag files" is kinda lame and MS standards say we are supposed to put settings in app data. I understand your concern and in a later version I will see about putting just the screenshots in the "my pictures" folder in a bzflag subdir, as that is the most logical place for them.
ImageJeffM
Mopar Madness
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mopar Madness »

The config file probably should be moved as well. There are so many players that don't realize how much the in game GUI limits you on config customization, and with the config hidden now, that number can only get larger.
brad
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by brad »

An easy way to get to the BZFlag config folder is to do windows key + r then copy/paste %LOCALAPPDATA%\BZFlag into the box and hit enter.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

The config is settings data and that should be saved in app data. I thought I put a shortcut to the config dir in the start menu items that we install.

Also if there are options that can only be set in the config then that means we have failed in the UI design of the settings page in game and should fix that. You should NOT have to go dig for a file anywhere to change common settings.
ImageJeffM
Mopar Madness
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mopar Madness »

I just saw the folder in start menu, never checked there. As for the UI, the main problems with the UI are:
1) There were upper bounds and lower bounds in the UI that weren't in the config, such as the shot line length on radar (UI limits the length at like 20 or something and I keep mine at 40).
2) The UI limits you to 2 button choices for each action, config is unlimited (UI would limit me to 2 shot keys, by editing the config, I now have 5).
3) The UI limits what settings can be changed (can't change some things like radar zooms and how many radar settings you can hotkey).

Really, the UI is not bad and is probably all the settings that 95% of the players will ever need, but when you get into GU or Ducati league, those extra shot keys, custom precise shot lengths on radar, and precise radar zoom settings become crucial to help you win your matches.