Give Genocide a radius

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
clarahobbs
Private First Class
Private First Class

Give Genocide a radius

Post by clarahobbs »

I think that Genocide is the most over-powered flag in the game, and I've finally thought of a simple way of making it less annoying. Instead of the current method of simply killing everyone on the team of the player who was shot, kill everyone on his team within a configurable radius of him. Since the radius would be a server variable, it could be set to effectively keep the current behavior with a huge radius, or the radius could be made smaller to be less annoying to players. In fact, a negative value for the genocide radius variable could disable the radius all together. Please tell me what you think of this suggestion.
FKA Ratfink
SkillDude
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Give Genocide a radius

Post by SkillDude »

While I can understand your argument for Genocide being extremely powerful, genocide comes with a few disadvantages which can easily make it a weak flag also. Genocide is only strong under certain circumstances. For example, when it is given no shot limit (Only Planet Mofo seems to be okay with this. Most maps have a very limited amount of shots), when there is many on one team (Usually 2 team CTF maps), and when the player is skilled (Able to dodge incoming bullets and know when to shoot the normal few shots they have).

Genocide is also a normal bullet, which means that there is no caveat to scoring with Genocide. The effect you are describing sounds like a shockwave to me. The idea to use a radius does not seem very ideal, what would be the point of using genocide then? Players of the same team generally spawn in the same areas which would then make genocide be the same with or without the radius. And once the players are spread far apart, you will be shooting at everyone as if it was a normal shot anyway.

Genocide seems fine to me. Players generally become immediately alert to the situation when someone sees that white G next to a player's name, and the player with Genocide can usually only get one or two kills before being exposed and eliminated.

Let the discussion begin.
FiringSquad
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by FiringSquad »

I think Genocide is fine the way it is.
I do understand the frustration though. Especially when you see the same teammate being killed 3 times in a row as they kamikaze attack the Geno-holder.

If I have Geno, then I know I need to conserve my shots and so I am at great risk of being shot. Also I have to worry about hitting teammates (especially ones with ST).
If the map is designed well, then the flag is generally located in an exposed area, where you can be seen by all. If a player manages to make their way to the Geno flag, then they deserve the possible reward.
If I had managed to run the gauntlet to get the flag and then shot the one perfect bullet to get someone in the air, I would be very upset if the result was just a single kill.

Also it can be used tactically in maps where a base is easily defended. An ST gets near the base and then the Geno-holder kills everyone to let their mate in.
If this was to be added, it would need the radius shown on the radar, otherwise it would be too difficult for the flag-holder to judge when to shoot.

If I was to make a change to the flag, then it would be to make the range configurable. That way, it could be set very short, perhaps even a tank length, so that it could require more skill to use.
War Pig
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by War Pig »

Generally, I like the idea of more options over fewer options, and I think Ratfinks idea is a good one. Map makers should (and do, generally) put a LOT of thought into how the G flag is integrated into their maps, because it is so powerful. Ratfink's idea gives them more options, but also allows the current G flag behavior to remain the same, if that is what the map maker wants.

The question, I think, is one of economy. In light of the big picture, and the limited developer resources, where would this sort of change fit into the developers priority list for bzflag? Pretty low priority, I imagine. Great idea, probably not gonna happen anytime soon.
<life> <!-- insert something interesting here --> </life>
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

I would like Genocide to stay the same because it doesn't modify your tank speed, or shot type (SB, L, GM, etc.) so it's just a normal tank, but when you shoot someone, everyone dies. It makes it a lot harder on maps like MW2 where everyone has a flag like SB, L, GM, ST. It's also limited so you have to wait for that perfect shot, you can't spray and pray with the geno (Unless that's your stupid tactic...).
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
mahem1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by mahem1 »

There is always the riskygeno plugin.
If you get shot and you are holding the geno flag YOUR whole team dies.
Makes it more of a risk!

'spray and pray' that makes me laugh every time!
Lag makes me miss all of the good stuff.
And random bans..........
War Pig
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by War Pig »

RiskyGeno is not without its problems. The 'risk' assumes the geno player cares if his team dies, since it only costs 1 point. Want to make RiskyGeno truly risky, have it zero the G player's score or kick him from the server if he gets killed holding it. Geno abusers care about one thing, seeing their score flash. You have to take that away before geno becomes a strategic flag rather than just an ego stroke. Heck, make geno award 1 point for the kill, and subtract all the deaths from the hit player's score. That'll make it a strategic flag rather than just a fake score inflator, and it will be an incentive for players to avoid being hit.
<life> <!-- insert something interesting here --> </life>
adameros
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by adameros »

Better yet, just get rid of geno. It's makes a lot of otherwise fun maps miserable to play.