PlayerUpdate status / Observer / other

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
Beardy
Private First Class
Private First Class

PlayerUpdate status / Observer / other

Post by Beardy » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:23 pm

Could the "autopilot" status be added to the status transferred by the PlayerUpdate message ?

That way even players which log-on after a tanks autopilot has been engaged can see which tanks have it active.

Might also be an idea to add a "I'm a robot" bit in there (more effective than to check if a callsign ends on at least two digits)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Would it be an idea to, when "/forceradar" is used, also to disable the fog (or at least make it much less thick) ?

I've seen a few maps which have such a thick fog that the "free roaming" mode is not really usable anymore -- Good for scare-effects between the batteling tanks, just not for an observer. :-)

Would it be an idea & possible to give the server the possibility to instruct the client to place & show a certain (pre-defined) dynamic object (does not need to be solid -- just a visual addition) ?

It would come in handy for, among other things, plugins like the Useles-flag mine (to mark the position of such a mine).

Could a playing tank who signs-off get an "I'm leaving" effect ? Currently a tank just disappears (which sometimes makes me wonder for a second if I'm looking at a glitch). An effect alike the "I'm spawning" one would be nice.

My apologies if they have been mentioned before -- I've checked a few pages of suggestions but did not spot them.

blast
General
General

Re: PlayerUpdate status / Observer / other

Post by blast » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:35 pm

Beardy wrote:Could the "autopilot" status be added to the status transferred by the PlayerUpdate message ?

That way even players which log-on after a tanks autopilot has been engaged can see which tanks have it active.
Technically, we could probably just direct the MsgAutoPilot message to joining players so that they are aware of anyone using autopilot. It's not necessary to send it with every player update. This way, it should not require a protocol change and would be as simple as updating the game server.
Beardy wrote:Might also be an idea to add a "I'm a robot" bit in there (more effective than to check if a callsign ends on at least two digits)
This is already done. We have a player type that is sent, and I think the join messages even indicate that they are a robot/computer tank.
Beardy wrote:Would it be an idea to, when "/forceradar" is used, also to disable the fog (or at least make it much less thick) ?

I've seen a few maps which have such a thick fog that the "free roaming" mode is not really usable anymore -- Good for scare-effects between the batteling tanks, just not for an observer. :-)
That's a possibility.
Beardy wrote:Would it be an idea & possible to give the server the possibility to instruct the client to place & show a certain (pre-defined) dynamic object (does not need to be solid -- just a visual addition) ?

It would come in handy for, among other things, plugins like the Useles-flag mine (to mark the position of such a mine).
This is something that 2.99.x's code would allow, at least through Lua scripting.
Beardy wrote:Could a playing tank who signs-off get an "I'm leaving" effect ? Currently a tank just disappears (which sometimes makes me wonder for a second if I'm looking at a glitch). An effect alike the "I'm spawning" one would be nice.
Sure, special effects could be added. But at this point there's more pressing issues to worry about, such as actually continuing development on the project.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Beardy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: PlayerUpdate status / Observer / other

Post by Beardy » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:18 am

Technically, we could probably just direct the MsgAutoPilot message to joining players
Effective. Good enough for me..
Might also be an idea to add a "I'm a robot" bit in there
I must have been quite tired when I wrote that ... I woke up this morning realizing its already done (on logon, just as you say)
That's a possibility.
Jay !
This is something that 2.99.x's code would allow
I thought it would be as easy as putting up another rain or explosions array, not all that hard to implement in 2.x . But than again, what do I know about the ins-and-outs of it ....
Sure, special effects could be added
Its not as much as "yet another special effect", but more like a visual clue to why that tank over there just blinked outof (visual) existence".

Currently I've hacked an explosion effect to it, but that confuses me to think the leaving tank has been shot ...