New Game Style

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
ZE BOZZ
Private First Class
Private First Class

New Game Style

Post by ZE BOZZ »

I was wondering if we could add a new play style, in short, a derivative of "rabbit hunt" where one player starts out as the rabbit and when he/she kills someone, they also become a rabbit. All the "zombie" tanks must eliminate the normal tanks and the normal tanks must bond together to defend themselves and so on until the last tank is killed, then it resets making another player the rabbit and all the rest normal; beginning the game again. I suppose it is a bit of a zombie type play style. No tks? No super flags? Would probably depend on the map.

Just a fun game style I thought would be very entertaining and enjoyable.
•• •• •• •• ••
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens." - J.R.R. Tolkien
blast
General
General

Re: New Game Style

Post by blast »

That would require a new major release of the game as we currently don't have a proper way to switch teams on the fly. The current rabbit implementation has a special "new rabbit" message that only supports a single rabbit. It's definitely something we want to solve in a later release, and it was something we had at least partially implemented in the 2.99.x codebase before it was abandoned. The idea would be to allow plugins to move players to different teams, and then this kind of gamemode could just be a simple server plugin.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

Keyword is "proper." Switching players can be done but it's atrocious; the game mode would have to different color teams instead of a rabbit. Terribly hackish but it's implemented here with a third-party API that I've started if you wish to write the plugin yourself. The bit of documentation that I've written is here and a few of the newer plugin updates that I've been writing use the toolkit so you can look at those for examples.
ZE BOZZ
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ZE BOZZ »

Very interesting, and quite insightful. Thanks guys!
•• •• •• •• ••
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

I think this was sorta like what you are talking about.
http://forums.bzflag.org/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=7912
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
ZE BOZZ
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ZE BOZZ »

That is exactly what I was talking about. It seems, from reading the posts after, that it was quite enjoyable! I may take a look at that idea once again. Thanks Optic!
•• •• •• •• ••