3D Grass

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
kaadmy
Private First Class
Private First Class

3D Grass

Post by kaadmy »

I've implemented 3D grass into BZFlag 2.4.6, and while it might be messy and won't work on maps with fake floors, it's still a step, however small :)

download/file.php?mode=view&id=16733&si ... d43f0af1ef

download/file.php?mode=view&id=16734&si ... d43f0af1ef

Compiles and runs fine on Linux, but will NOT work on Mac, and probably won't work on Windows, as I don't have the resources to test those platforms.

Source is available here: https://github.com/kaadmy/bzflag-3dgrass

Edit: screenshots
Attachments
3dgrass03.png
(1.87 MiB) Not downloaded yet
3dgrass01.png
(1.92 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: 3D Grass

Post by Zehra »

Congratulations kaadmy

Nice work on the 3-D grass.
3-D grass would be nice to see implemented in BZFlag, but I have a minor suggestion for it.
Perhaps it would be better to add 3-D grass as a map option along so that it could be used for maps.
Maybe some options could be added to it such as.
-set _grass height 1.5
-set _grass density 5.0
-grass
green (options would be dark green, light green...etc)
-set_wind blow 5.0 (this would allow movement of grass as if wind is blowing it)
-set_grass effect 1.0 (this causes tanks to slow down as if they would be traveling cross-country)
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
kaadmy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by kaadmy »

@Flak 18: Most of those options are easily addable, except for the grass effects and wind.
I don't see what you mean by grass "effects", what's that for? (Grass is ONLY visual, and client-side)
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

@Kaadmy: The grass is nice, but physics would be nice to have and add an element to game play.
Also it would be nice to be able to adjust grass height so certain aspects can be done with maps.
Depending on maps it would be nice to be able to chose between high and short grass as an effect.
Some interesting effects could be added to maps along with added details and appear more real.
It's nice visually to have grass, but would be nice to have more effects for available for usage.
I'm not sure if it's a good idea to have this implemented as a map feature, but it would be interesting to see.

-Zehra
Last edited by Zehra on Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
kaadmy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by kaadmy »

I'm not sure how physics would change anything, especially since the server can already change stuff, ie. friction and similar things.
My original idea was to place grass in grass "zones", defined by the map file.
I want to have grass completely optional, and client-side whenever possible, and while map-specific options are nice, I don't think they'll work out very well.
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

It was a thought on a concept :wink: .

Latest 101 thread
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Having it not poke through buildings and also having it bend down or at least disappear when a tank drives over it would be two physics "effects" that would make it more visually appealing. Also, having it fade out a little more gradually to the ground color/texture would probably improve the visual appearance a little.

Nice work, though. I'm not aware of anyone else who has ever tried something like this.
kaadmy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by kaadmy »

Thanks @Constitution :)
Grass is currently a little ugly around edges of objects, ie. tanks and buildings, and I've also tried a few different ways to blend the grass near the ground, and the current method works pretty well.
click click boom
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by click click boom »

nicest grass i have ever seen, needs to def. be implemented.
kaadmy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by kaadmy »

Thanks @ccb :)
I've already made a PR a few months ago, never got merged though.