Faster Rabbits

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
alfa1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Faster Rabbits

Post by alfa1 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:52 pm

Why? Because, in the real life rabbit chase, the rabbit has this advantage; if not, as nowadays, the rabbit dies a lot (think on 9 vs. 1, i. e.). I understand it is not possible by plugins since we want still allow it to get flags at once. Maybe, also, allowing to set its speed variation through a variable or a server argument.
2.6 will have laser sight!

Servers Classification - Log Converter

Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Faster Rabbits

Post by Zehra » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:14 pm

I think this would be an improvement as the rabbit should have a bit of a speed advantage, but not enough that prevents people from getting them.
The speed might also be able to be adjusted depending on number of players.
If there were one hunter and one rabbit, then there would not be a change in speed, but if there were four hunters, then the rabbit would have a 5 percent speed increase over the hunters.

-Zehra
There's this game I love and it's called Ducati. ~Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
There's always something to remember and it's been a game I love. ~Zehra
The time spent is a time which can never be regained, so it's a time to enjoy. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
The details and the skill of knowing and applying them is what excellence is made of. ~Zehra
The best player is the one who knows what to do and when and applies it successfully. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra
My blog is available at zehrahblog.wordpress.com.

macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:23 pm

You are taking away the opportunity for highly skilled players who can hold off a bunch of others to truly shine. Rabbit hunt is not about having fair odds as the rabbit.

Also, altering the tank speed may throw movements/jumps off on some maps, where geometry is spaced apart very specifically.

alfa1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by alfa1 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:39 pm

Constitution wrote:You are taking away the opportunity for highly skilled players who can hold off a bunch of others to truly shine.
As I said, I usually/always see that rabbits die a lot; as much as it makes rabbit chase gamestyle hard to enjoy. I really don't remember or don't see at all those "highly skilled players". Again, think, in any map, if you have 9 players versus 1; how much will that one last? Seconds.
Constitution wrote:Rabbit hunt is not about having fair odds as the rabbit.
I didn't mean "fair odds", but giving the rabbit a bit more of advantage, of power, to make it easier for it. Another case to be implemented could be, I remember now, using more than 1 rabbit at once, like a team. It could depend on a fixed number or on a percentage according to players' amount; both as a server argument.
Constitution wrote:Also, altering the tank speed may throw movements/jumps off on some maps, where geometry is spaced apart very specifically.
Yes, I agree somehow, but also think on the V flag which usually is enabled on R. C. maps. If it is enabled by design then think on this speed advantage as if it was always enabled for the rabbit. Nothing too bad/outstanding.

Just to clarify, this would be *optional*, since you could adjust the variation of rabbit speed by a server argument or variable, being able to disable it (setting it to 0, let's say), to maintain the nowadays style.

JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:20 am

The original design for Rabbit Chase did have faster rabbits, but as a trade off, they could not shoot. The current version with vicious rabbits removes the speed but allows them to shoot.

This could be done with a plug-in with a minor API enhancement by using the handicap system

https://github.com/JeffM2501/bzflag/com ... 721ee9bea0

alfa1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by alfa1 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:15 pm

Thanks, JeffM, for your contribution. I had not thought about the handicap system but now I see it. Regarding to the "adding more rabbits" case, I guess this can be done with a plugin and teams (like team balancing one); though, I wonder if it could manage orange and grey colors in any way.

blast
General
General

Post by blast » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:07 pm

While the rabbit is a proper team in 2.4, our logic may still only work for a single rabbit. For instance, there isn't a generic 'change team' message in our protocol, just a 'new rabbit' message.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)