MUCH better robots

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
markyisri
Private
Private

MUCH better robots

Post by markyisri »

I love playing BZFlag on my own private server. Unfortunately, the number of other players I have available to play with is limited, and the robots are extremely stupid (I'm not insulting, it says that in the manpage).

How can I get robots that play alot stronger? There was mention of this for the 3.0 release but it never surfaced. I know the history of deciding to go with 2.4 instead. :)
blast
General
General

Re: MUCH better robots

Post by blast »

Have you tried both the -solo bots and the autopilot bot? The -solo bots use older logic and are actually pretty decent on non-jumping maps. The autopilot instead takes control of the main player of the client and uses different logic, which includes the ability to jump and make use of some flags (including playing capture the flag). The '9' key on the top of the keyboard toggles autopilot mode.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

markyisri
Private
Private

Post by markyisri »

blast wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:50 pm Have you tried both the -solo bots and the autopilot bot? The -solo bots use older logic and are actually pretty decent on non-jumping maps. The autopilot instead takes control of the main player of the client and uses different logic, which includes the ability to jump and make use of some flags (including playing capture the flag). The '9' key on the top of the keyboard toggles autopilot mode.
Hi,

Yes, I did try the autopilot. It is much better but slows down the computer more. It also requires running a client per bot, and drawing the frames, even when I only need to look at my own tank. Can the autopilot be run without starting the client itself (like the -solo option)?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

No, it's tied to the client.
ImageJeffM
alfa1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by alfa1 »

I run 'autopilot' bots for long time now and they are enough fun. To avoid lot of comsumption just iconify them; to run lots of them, make a script. Then, when they run, press: '9' (autopilot), 'i' (spawn) and F4 (iconify) on each one. All is run windowized too by using '-window'. If want to see them in action, visit my server 'diver-sion' :) (non-24-hours one; bots run privately). I also made a plug-in for some improvements; both codes will be shared when I can.