silence all unreg callsign option

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
dereliction of duty
Private First Class
Private First Class

silence all unreg callsign option

Post by dereliction of duty »

While steps have been taken to help control the trolling situation lately, I would like to request a client side option of silencing all unreg callsigns.

/silence * causes everything to be muted which is overkill.

msg's from registered callsigns and server msg would be missed using the * flag/option.

no need to name specific callsigns here but the person over in Spain isn't the only one that has been trolling lately.

TIA for any assistance.
trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: silence all unreg callsign option

Post by trpted »

On the server side I believe it can be done and I not sure of how to do that at this time.

Client side at this time not possible nor I am sure of how it could be done client side (in reg BZFLAG). In the meantime, it is suggested to telling/reporting to the admin/cops about it.

*Sign* / +1 / Nods in head in agreement, although if someone is trolling (bullying) you in person (not online, not by phone, not by snail mail, and ETC) you will have to ignore them without the help of any tech.
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

A better client side silencing option would be good.
I hope to see this implemented as an option soon.

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
dereliction of duty
Private First Class
Private First Class

server side option is being used on a few servers, unreg cannot chat.

Just seems like "it would be easy" for client side to determine missing authorized flag (the + sign next to registered callsign) and be able to silence any msg's from them. I am not a coder or dev so no idea how hard this would be.

Reporting to admins after the fact seems like a waste of time. The annoyances would just go and obtain a new callsign which happens daily. Combine that with the vpn connections and those few individuals would disappear and nothing would work to stop them.

There are a select few who have an obsession with myself and a few other regular players. They have specific behaviors or methods of harassment that easily can be identified or grouped into just a handful of users, ie, my guess is 5 or less.

The BZFlag community really needs a dedicated Doctor for these individuals as it's gotten that bad with the harassment that I'm actually concerned for these individuals mental health.

NOT.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I just pushed a change so that you can "/silence -" to silence unregistered players, so that will be part of the upcoming 2.4.12 release.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

dereliction of duty
Private First Class
Private First Class

Thanks blast! Much appreciated
dereliction of duty
Private First Class
Private First Class

discovered "/silence -" produces "no such callsign -".

But k key then - produces "Unregistered Callsigns Silenced"

Nice!
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Ah, thanks, I didn't actually try with the /silence command. I'll see about fixing that. Though it seems that * also doesn't work with the /silence command.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

blast
General
General

Post by blast »

The /silence and /unsilence commands should be working with * and - now for the next release. Also, I fixed /unsilence so that it worked at all.