Default Flag Server Variables Rework

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
tainn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Default Flag Server Variables Rework

Post by tainn »

While any map creator can set the server variables however they see fit when creating a map, a lot actually choose to keep them at their default value. As such, to keep some sort of balance of flag power, the default server variables that affect flag potency should come at a fair and packed shape. At the moment, that isn't really the case.

The most problematic are the cases of Steamroller and Machine Gun.

For the former, the _srRadiusMult variable is set to 2 on default; setting it higher would make it actually stand as a middle ground between Shock Wave and bullet shooting capabilities, and actually make it competitive. The latter, on the other hand, is complete garbage on default as of right now. It is affected by _mGunAdVel, _mGunAdRate, and _mGunAdLife. Manipulating the defaults for Machine Gun to reach further (but not as far as Rapid Fire) and perhaps reload a bit slower (but not as slow as Rapid Fire) would be essentially necessary.

The ones who aren't in such dire need of rework, but might deserve consideration, would be Agility, Burrow, as well as Rapid Fire.

Comparing Agility to High Speed, the former is harder to control and more annoying to deal with, at the very least for the low amount of additional speed it gives in comparison. As such, _agilityAdVel, _agilityTimeWindow, and _agilityVelDelta might want some rework to stay of interest. While I get the idea of _burrowSpeedAd and _burrowAngularAd being lower than normal for Burrow, they are just too low, especially the turn speed. As for Rapid Fire, it serves the job, but with a buff in Machine Gun, a buff in Rapid Fire would be desired. Of course, both still being in similar ratios they are now, but perhaps Rapid Fire being a bit faster than it is now, meaning that the defaults for _rFireAdVel, _rFireAdRate, and _rFireAdLife would need to be affected.

All of these thoughts are based entirely on the gameplay and observations pulled from it; how often do players usually stick to a flag of a certain type, how dominant that flag seems to be for a casual player, as well as how it compares to other flags, be it similar or not.
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Default Flag Server Variables Rework

Post by Zehra »

I agree that a rework would be great.
Currently MG is more of a 'bad' flag with default settings. (Wide-angle, bouncy, or no-jump end up being a far better flag than MG at default.)
Steamroller tends to vary a bit with effectiveness in range, but overall, SR is not as useful or effective as it could be.
Rapid fire could be made to have a faster shot speed and reload, at the compromise of range.
Burrow needs a bit of a rework in turn radius and speed, it currently is too slow and should have a bit more power.

While historically, they were somewhat balanced, the settings used these days and the maps most active these days provide an insight.
It is a sign that a rework of them is strongly needed and the default settings, which should provide a good start-up, are outdated.
Recommend that changes be made and hopefully we see a more powerful MG, along with an enhanced SR.
Rapid fire and burrow should be upgraded a bit to match more of the current settings.
A bit more off topic, but Agility seems more like a repeat of QuickTurn and High Speed, with a bit of a time limit to it.

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
tainn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tainn »

Yeah, the default flag server variables were evaluated by assuming all of the server variables are set to default, including tank speed, shot speed, turn speed, tank size, gravity, etc.

The idea is that, if a person runs a config file without using any of the -set commands to modify the default variable values, that the majority of the features and aspects would be balanced and fair already.
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

Then again, the main argument of reworking the values is based on having better default starting options.
Perhaps what may work better is to simply have a few sample configuration files or to have a list of the variables, along with a reference of settings which tend to work well and are balanced.
(This would be useful for those who are new to changing variables and map making.)

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
tainn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tainn »

Perhaps, but that in itself would already make the situation more complex. My initial idea was to keep the matter as simple as it is now, not adding even the thinnest layers of choice and complexity, just balance out the matters with as least intervention as possible; I believe targeting flags would result in that.

That does not mean, however, that having a preset selection of differently balanced defaults wouldn't be as good or perhaps even better. It would, however, add an additional step that many don't seem to take.