Eighth dimension cleanup/removal

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Eighth dimension cleanup/removal

Post by Zehra »

While originally the 'eighth dimension' scene added to the games appearance and design, but these days it takes away from it.
The small randomly placed triangles in buildings and structures end up making the game look quite dated and perhaps even incomplete.
In my opinion, the removal of them would make BZFlag look more professional and up-to-date.

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
blast
General
General

Re: Eighth dimension cleanup/removal

Post by blast »

If we want to look more up-to-date, we should replace the triangles with emojis.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

My bad, I guess the goal is to keep the retro feel.

-Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Nah, was just a joke. :) To be honest, it's been so long since I've driven through a box with OO that I kinda forgot that was a thing.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

tainn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tainn »

On the other hand, I drive through it frequently enough to not consciously see the triangles anymore, just what is happening outside of the object.

The triangles only appear in objects without the drivethrough property, so it shouldn't be too hard to copy the display from one to the other as well.
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Zehra, did you forget to tell us what new effect you are going to create to replace this one you want to remove?

The OO effect is not the same as a drivethrough object, so it’s important to have an effect to distinguish one from the other. Improvements (the actual work, not just ideas) are always welcome.
tainn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tainn »

I agree that OO and PZ visually differing from drivethrough would be nice, if possible.
Ratfink
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ratfink »

The thing I don't like about the current look of OO is the inconsistency between driving through 1.x objects and 2.x objects. 1.x objects have the "triangles" effect, 2.x ones render the object in wireframe with no triangles. I figure the reason for not drawing the triangles is it would be more computationally expensive to generate random triangles entirely inside of arbitrary meshes, but the difference makes the two types of object seem even more different than they already do.
trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by trpted »

I am not sure, but I believe this/these help.

https://zehrahblog.wordpress.com/2018/0 ... buildings/

https://zehrahblog.wordpress.com/2018/0 ... s-from-oo/

Note: For this second link, I commented out from const std::vector<const Obstacle*>& list = myTank->getInsideBuildings(); to scene->addDynamicNode(nodeList[o]);
}

by using // before each line.

OR you could add /* before const std::vector<const Obstacle*>& list = myTank->getInsideBuildings(); and have */ after scene->addDynamicNode(nodeList[o]);
}

Otherwise, it will not compile correctly - as it will have errors.

If you disagree with this/these fixes, please post.

With some notes about that..

#1 Must include why you disagree.

#2 and besides the fact that users must download the source code, with guide-ace:

a) change it

c) and compile it them selves.

#3 All of this is ATM (at the moment).

Please and thank you.
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

macsforme wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:59 pm Zehra, did you forget to tell us what new effect you are going to create to replace this one you want to remove?

The OO effect is not the same as a drivethrough object, so it’s important to have an effect to distinguish one from the other. Improvements (the actual work, not just ideas) are always welcome.
If I am not mistaken, there would be no need for a replacement of the effect.
OO lists one as 'sealed' when driving through a non drivethrough object, as well as being unable to shoot when 'sealed'.
On the side of drivethrough objects, one does not receive the 'sealed' notice and is able to shoot from within the object.

If the concept is not denied, nor discouraged officially and the general consensus is supportive of it, the next steps would simply be to plan and submit the implementation as a formal request when it is completed and properly tested.
tainn wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:10 pm I agree that OO and PZ visually differing from drivethrough would be nice, if possible.
There is already some differences visually, based on if an object is drivethrough or non-drivethrough and status.
The 'sealed' state appears for OO and 'zoned' for PZ.
PZ will treat virtually anything as drivethrough while zoned, so no worries there.
(Additionally, the ground texture changes when 'zoned' as well.)
OO is unable to shoot while 'sealed', while PZ is able to do so.
Both PZ and OO are unable to jump while within non-drivethrough objects, if jumping is enabled.
Ratfink wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:37 am The thing I don't like about the current look of OO is the inconsistency between driving through 1.x objects and 2.x objects. 1.x objects have the "triangles" effect, 2.x ones render the object in wireframe with no triangles. I figure the reason for not drawing the triangles is it would be more computationally expensive to generate random triangles entirely inside of arbitrary meshes, but the difference makes the two types of object seem even more different than they already do.
The inconsistency is another reason for the proposed change as well.
By increasing the consistency of how things are handled, it should make the game more straightforward and appear better as well.

-Zehra

Latest 101 thread