Jump Session Linger

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
tainn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Jump Session Linger

Post by tainn »

Just as a person cannot pause while in air, it might be nice to have forced extended sessions while players are in the air; for a few seconds, around 5 or so. These sessions could only persist on the server's side, and not actually on the side of the client that closed the session.

The idea arises due to players many times 'ragequitting', selecting F12 while in the air before the other player can net the kill. This is a bit unfair to the other player as most of the time, it is a battle between these two players and one clearly wins, just can't get that finish due to the instant quit in the end.

These events usually happen with the quitting party being in the air, where they have time to act, hence the specific suggestion. Since this could be server-based but not also client-based, the person would not be forced to stay in-game for another 5 seconds or so - they could close the session, but their 'ghost' tank would still persist in the game for the said amount of seconds with no input given, until they either die, or the time runs out.
trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Jump Session Linger

Post by trpted »

Not sure how much that is an issue, but I * Sign * / Nods head in agreement / +1
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

This would not be possible in the current protocol.
We only get the shot initial position, but are not able to get it's end position, much less getting it's position at any point in time.
If we are able to get enough shot data and player positioning information, it can either be implemented within BZFS or as a separate plug-in.

Either way, I do see the problem mentioned, but do not think the implementation suggested would be the best.
In theory, we can get shot position, player position and do some calculations to see if a shot would have hit.
If shot cannot be dodged, award player point for kill.

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Zehra wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:16 pm This would not be possible in the current protocol.
We only get the shot initial position, but are not able to get it's end position, much less getting it's position at any point in time.
If we are able to get enough shot data and player positioning information, it can either be implemented within BZFS or as a separate plug-in.

Either way, I do see the problem mentioned, but do not think the implementation suggested would be the best.
In theory, we can get shot position, player position and do some calculations to see if a shot would have hit.
If shot cannot be dodged, award player point for kill.

-Zehra
You should re-read the initial message. It's not about shots. It's about persisting the "ghost" of a player that left while alive so that quitting the game can't be used to avoid an imminent death. Such a thing would certainly be possible without a protocol change, but it still wouldn't end up in 2.4. You'd have to have at least some basic simulation code on the server so that you could simulate the movement and death calculation of the ghost tank, and that's a bit of an undertaking for a point release.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

blast wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:51 pm You should re-read the initial message. It's not about shots. It's about persisting the "ghost" of a player that left while alive so that quitting the game can't be used to avoid an imminent death. Such a thing would certainly be possible without a protocol change, but it wouldn't end up in 2.4. You'd have to have at least some basic simulation code on the server so that you could simulate the movement and death calculation of the ghost tank, and that's a bit of an undertaking for a point release.
Yeah, I was wrong there. I mostly tried to highlight the requirement of "tracking" the shots, as it is not current implemented, but would be required to determine if a shot were to "hit" the "ghost client".

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread