Official match with teams info

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Official match with teams info

Post by trpted »

There are fun matches and an Official matches.

When user connects to the server the user is told by the server that there is a fun match or an official match going on.

How ever during an official match, the user is not told this by the server until the end of the game: What teams are playing and which team is which.

Examples...

a) Team A is red and Team B is green

b) Team A is red and the green team is "mixed".

By mixed, example:

c) While the red team is only the A team, green has members from team B and C.

They should be told when they connect by the server: there is an official match going on between Team A is red and Team B is green.

Please and thank you.
tainn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Official match with teams info

Post by tainn »

You can easily check that yourself as it is, though. The motto field is automatically filled with the team name. If there is an official match in progress with the red team all having the same team name in their motto while the green team having mixed, you know it is an official match of that team vs a mixed team. Same rule applies to all different combinations.
trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by trpted »

I must be missing something. How do I get to see that field?

Please and thank you
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

This should probably be filed as an issue within LeagueOverseer for proper tracking of said bug.
Most of what is seen done in the leagues and elsewhere is done via plug-ins for easy maintenance and updating of features.
(The server itself has no concept of an "official" or "fun" match.)

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by trpted »

Why do I have to join another service dealing with BZflag?

Please and thank you
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

The motto is the text after peoples' names on the scoreboard.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

My concern would be that the join message would be providing incorrect data, but I have not been able to confirm this yet.

Code: Select all

bz_sendTextMessagef(BZ_SERVER, joinData->playerID, "*** There is currently %s match in progress, please be respectful. ***",
                                    ((currentMatch->isOfficialMatch) ? "an official" : "a fun"));
Seemingly this happens in "mixed" officials or I may be misunderstanding this completely.

Trpted, Would the message you receive upon joining a server while a match is in progress happen to incorrect at any time?
Such as being listed as a "fun" match, while it is a "mixed official" match for example.
(If this would happen to be the case, I would not mind filing a bug report on your behalf.)

-Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by trpted »

blast wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:22 pm The motto is the text after peoples' names on the scoreboard.
#1 Which let me guess, is client side settings.

#2 Has it or could be ever been wrong?
Zehra wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:34 pm My concern would be that the join message would be providing incorrect data, but I have not been able to confirm this yet.

Code: Select all

bz_sendTextMessagef(BZ_SERVER, joinData->playerID, "*** There is currently %s match in progress, please be respectful. ***",
                                    ((currentMatch->isOfficialMatch) ? "an official" : "a fun"));
Seemingly this happens in "mixed" officials or I may be misunderstanding this completely.

Trpted, Would the message you receive upon joining a server while a match is in progress happen to incorrect at any time?
Such as being listed as a "fun" match, while it is a "mixed official" match for example.
(If this would happen to be the case, I would not mind filing a bug report on your behalf.)

-Zehra
Unknown if that would ever happen / or ever happened.

Is there code (most likely plug-in, as need be) to tell which team is which before the end of the match?
Last edited by trpted on Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Mottos are shown by default when the scoreboard is shown. You can adjust the maximum display length of mottos in the options.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

The reason I originally opted to not show something like, "Current match: Team John vs Team Jane" is because mottos are not 100% reliable when players switch teams (which used to be a very common thing). The current motto that is displayed is the team they were on since the last time they joined the server. So let's say a player has changed teams and this is the first time they've joined the server to play, their motto will still have the old team unless they rejoin since mottos cannot be updated after a player has joined. Because mottos can become outdated, the server plug-in purposely remains dumb and doesn't perform any official actions with them other than listing them on the scoreboard for players to get an idea of what teams players are a part of.

When a match finishes, what's reporting to the league site are the BZIDs of the players that participated in the match and the league site decides what teams these players share, if any.

---

As a side note, unless you're active as a developer or specifically want a GitHub account, it's not necessary for players to create an account there. Posting about problems and bugs on the forums is perfectly fine and developers will be more than happy to create issues on their behalf :)
trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by trpted »

blast wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:53 am Mottos are shown by default when the scoreboard is shown. You can adjust the maximum display length of mottos in the options.
Ok.

How long should I make the Motto shown in options? Currently set to 0 (lowest possible setting).

Thanks
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

This is something you can easily test.

trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by trpted »

#1 Finally, confirmed it is Mottos feature. :)

#2 However I have an issue...

Mainly - How does it work

a) Does the user have to set the correct Motto for the team that they are on?

b) If the user can set their own Motto, how would some other user know that what info is false / misleading info?

Thank you
Attachments
bzflag.png
Motto showing the info that I wanted
(612.27 KiB) Not downloaded yet
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by kierra »

Motto follows the player’s team on LU site...as assessed by LoS
When a player changes teams, then it usually takes 2 joins to bzflag LU server for the change to be reflected in his motto.
"Sometimes people try to expose what's wrong with you, because they can't handle what's right about you."
"Measure your words -- they determine the distance of your relationships"
"If serving is beneath you, leadership is beyond ypu."
tainn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tainn »

I would also like to add that any manually set motto gets automatically overwritten, regardless of whether the player is in a team or not. In other words, on those respective servers, the player will either have a team name in the motto or no motto at all, there is no (normal) alternative.
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

trpted,

On some servers, the motto is a automatically "rewritten" by a plug-in.
There additionally exists the "showmotto" permission which allows selective disabling of mottos.
(Such as in the case of unregistered players.)

-Zehra

Latest 101 thread