Default Settings Rework

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
tainn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Default Settings Rework

Post by tainn »

The idea is to update the defaults in multiple areas of the game. Granted, many defaults all around could be perfected, but some are in a much more dire need than others. I had already created a thread on the need of the Steamroller and Machine Gun default server variables being reworked.

This time, it is about the in-game settings. They are important because many new players do not change them from the get-go, and first impressions are important.

Radar
Possibly the most powerful utility in the game, its default size on the HUD is by far too small. I would increase it. The radar type should probably be Fast Sorted on default as well, considering it is usually the most suitable radar type.

Key mappings
These are just all over the place on default. This can be especially problematic for keyboard players, as they do not use a mouse for moving, aiming, firing and respawning. Rather, they have to rely on button inputs which, as of right now, are set all over the keyboard, instead of being in reach of a single palm.

My suggested remappings, based around Tab staying the jump key:
  • Q - Fire shot
  • W - Identify/Lock On, as well as Restart
Others could be remapped as well, but these are the most crucial in my eyes for solid gameplay.
blast
General
General

Re: Default Settings Rework

Post by blast »

BZFlag 2.4.20 will have some different configuration setting default, including a larger radar and defaulting to Enhanced radar style (because this mode shows death physics drivers).

https://github.com/BZFlag-Dev/bzflag/pull/193/commits

I'm holding off on input mapping changes until 2.6 as I plan for a more invasive revamp.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

tainn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tainn »

Ahh, death phydrvs didn't come to mind -- good point.

Thank you for the input, I'm positively impressed with that PR.
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

Would the possibility of primary mouse and keyboard user configurations be considered for 2.6?
In other words, default mouse and keyboard user configurations.
(Thus the configurations are not in the sense of simply being set towards an "average", but rather already preset to a good extent for either playing style.)

Or would multiple "template" configurations be considered?

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

My idea for 2.6 input refactoring would be to have both modern and classic keybind defaults, and I want to improve how you bind for multiple devices. Currently our UI limits each action to two bindings, which doesn't work well considering we also support gamepads/joysticks. SDL2 and GLFW also have a game controller API that targets xbox-like controllers that I want to look into. I think it might allow for better identification of buttons (say, the X, instead of just "button 2") with supported gamepads.

https://wiki.libsdl.org/CategoryGameController
https://www.glfw.org/docs/latest/input_ ... ml#gamepad
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)