Local time

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
WorldOfTanks23
Private First Class
Private First Class

Local time

Post by WorldOfTanks23 »

I'm in the European time zone and when I connect to a server in the North American timezone (where it's evening or night) the game time is evening (and therefore dark).

I'd like the gametime to be my local time. I can adjust the time with the plus and minus keys but I want this to be automatic.
trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Local time

Post by trpted »

WorldOfTanks23 wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:55 pm I can adjust the time with the plus and minus keys..
That is as long as the server lets you.
WorldOfTanks23 wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:55 pm I'd like the gametime to be my local time.. ..but I want this to be automatic.
While I am in NY-USA Time Zone, +1/Sign/Nods Head in agreement/Thumb(s) Up.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I just joined two different servers in Europe whose local time was around 00:30, and my client's time of day was definitely not using the server's time. Do you have a specific example of a server where you are seeing this behavior?

In any case, the client does already offer a feature where you can lock the time of day. It will also disable the automatic advancing of time, which may not be desired, but that's for you to decide. You can run the game from the command line with the -time option, followed by the time of day in hh:mm:ss format. So, for example, to lock the time of day to noon:

Code: Select all

bzflag -time 12:00:00
You can still adjust the time of day with the + and - keys. Servers that use -synctime will still probably override this option.

It sounds like this option is persistent, so you'd only need to do this once. To return to normal behavior, you'd run:

Code: Select all

bzflag -notime
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

WorldOfTanks23
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by WorldOfTanks23 »

Why not a setting in the UI that says: "Game time" and have the ability to select "Server time" or "Local time"? That would be so much nicer.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Again, do you have a specific example of where this was happening?
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

WorldOfTanks23 wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:22 pm Why not a setting in the UI that says: "Game time" and have the ability to select "Server time" or "Local time"? That would be so much nicer.
Actually, what might be a better alternative is a start-up script for the game client.
This way you'll automatically have it set to the time you wish.

Out of curiosity, what operating system do you use?
Since I wouldn't mind writing up such a script.

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread