SR extravaganza

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
Valoche
Private First Class
Private First Class

SR extravaganza

Post by Valoche »

Hi there,

Had an idea tonight: why not having, as a server option, all the tanks have SR all the time? Plus of course the regular super and bad flags.
That'd be so much fun :lol-old:

Valoche
Rebel Chik0rita
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Rebel Chik0rita »

heehe

i think that would be kinda skeery for CTF playing tho . the accidental TK rates would skyrocket i think lol . esp. on tight or smaller maps . also , if everyone had SR on a team , and was spawning back at their base , after their flag had been captured .. they'd be smushing each other upz ;P

lol

would be kinda funny to see that happen tho ;) but disasterous if it was happening to your team ;P
Scorch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Scorch »

well good idea but... who would get killed if they collided lol. and also i think that'd be great idea like -tankflag <flagID> but not with bad flags or sheild and sr and stuff like that. i think that all with sw or sb or oo would be cool (nah oo would be boring.
Lan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lan »

I think a perfect idea would be to have a BZFS to have tanks get a server owner specified flag everytime they respawn, that way they all can have SR as well as any other flag.
Scorch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Scorch »

before we do that we should at least make alliance's first. thats to much control for the admin, although they can already do flag reset.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

adding support for multiple flags is no small task.

we have talked about turning all the flag's abilitys into status type moifyers, and the flags would be just one way to add the statuses to your tank.

This way you could make "on spawn" statuses. and shot based status ( like a left turn cannon ).

tho it will wreak havoc with the controlls, how do you tell it to fire the SW not your main gun?

It's still an idea, but it would mean changing a lot of code, all over the gameplay section.
ImageJeffM
Lan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lan »

As for my idea stated and the original SR idea, multiple flag holding is not necessary. I'd say still holding one flag but having this spawn flag grab server option would add even more neatness.
toaster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by toaster »

I agree with RC Cola. Accidental tk rates are already high enough, and tempers flare over pretty ridiculous accidents. Especially when geno goes wrong, which usually turns into an autokick if there's a tk threshhold. I guess it would be okay for ffa. In ctf, I don't have a problem at all running through a teammate to defend while he/she is running past me with the enemy flag. Sometimes there aren't many places to sidestep.

And the last thing I need is to spawn with sr on my base at the same time everyone else does. That could be instant autokick on the first spawn.
-toaster
"So there I was, all alone, facing all of the enemy. I started driving in circles, until I had them surrounded, and then I escaped in the confusion."
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

I'm all with valoche's idea. Who cares about the tk's. SR extravaganza sounds like extreme fun!
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!
[dmp]
Captain
Captain

Post by [dmp] »

If tank could spawn with a flag, it would love to see how it would affect CTF if all had SHield.

- When spawning after a capture, the killer would face a much harder task, as i needs to shoot twice as many shots to do the same damage as currently. This would give time of the team to defend themselves. (I thinks its rare that the entire team is waiting for the other team to spawn, so the attacker would be outnumbered mostly).

- Some new considerations; When you carry the enemy flag, you are more vulnerable - so you are more dependant on the teammates to protect you.
- When you spawn, and like to get the enemy flag home, would you then just drop your own SH flag where you are at, or do you want to move it closer to your own home.
- Defending tanks could be helped, if other tanks leave their own SH flags at base.
I don't need huge pictures here.
Lan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lan »

I think the most fun of this idea would be if everybody is not allowed to drop their flag. Probably bzfs could disable this for CTF and not being able to drop your flag means you can't capture team flags, but for ffa.
Valoche
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Valoche »

Hi,

I did not think about the whole CTF thing. This idea came up while I was playing Rabbit Chase. Obviously, it's no good one for CTF, unless we had a spawn invunerability feature.
Let's say that after you spawn, you can't be killed for 5 seconds. If you shoot, of course, you immediately loose your invulnerability.

Anyway, as a sum up, SR Extravaganza is meant for fun, is easy to implement, and is not suitable without effort for the CTF spawning logic at first join and/or respawn after flag loss.

About autokick: I do not like this feature. TK-ing is part of BZflag, because bullets ricochet all over the place, because of stealthed teammates, etc. When a player is purposely TKing, one should kick/ban him, or call a vote for this. I love it when someone has geno and blows himself up, or one of his teammates; that's what the fun of BZflag is about: making mistakes, being embarassed, being taunted by teammates (in a friendly way of course). If you try to force keep TKing low with brutal methods, you kill the fun of the game.

Valoche
toaster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by toaster »

Valoche, the concept wasn't bad, just some of us aren't keen on seeing it in ctf. I could understand the value in rabbit games though.

Your idea, modified by dmp from SR to SH, makes sense for ctf. I agree with [dmp], especially when watching active camping.
-toaster
"So there I was, all alone, facing all of the enemy. I started driving in circles, until I had them surrounded, and then I escaped in the confusion."
Rebel Chik0rita
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Rebel Chik0rita »

Scorch wrote:well good idea but... who would get killed if they collided lol.
Scorch brought up a good point . who would blow up in a collision ? both tanks ?
i think that would be a bit much ...an ruin the fun of having SR in the first place and trying to smush other tanks with it . it would also make being the rabbit , and staying as the rabbit , more difficult than it already is .
superflags are meant to be special (esp. on maps with a limited number of them) but if everyone had them i feel that it would diminish the special power of having them over others .

on a side note: i like the autokick feature . it's meant to protect honest players when an admin. is not around and there's a teamkiller on the loose . although it will not deter the most annoying TK'ers , alot of players don't bother going through the server registration/poll-banning process either .
mistakes happen , i agree . that's why there's a threshold on the number of TK's allowed before you get kicked .

in the future BZ releases , rejoining will not be as easy or as quick . so any TK'er , on a server that has autokick enabled , who shoots teammates or themselves with genocide will not be able to keep doing it without any repercussions .
Scorch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Scorch »

did i really bring up a good point? I think thats my first good point ;) . but anyway... for what i said mabye we could have a whose going faster doesn't die sort of thing like the tank going to fast but a senser.

about the multi-flags i know no small task and tim riker has refused to put it in i think. what i meant was that the tanks could have it BUILT IN to the tanks, for instance the tanks have SR BUILT IN when they spawn (or join if eisier).
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

both tanks do blow up on collision with SR, although that is not always predictable.

I would not want to see multiple flag holding a possibility. This would change the game drastically. I don't think tim would support it.

However, i'm not against SR in CTF, It holds potential for being an extremely hilarious game. new tactics.

A common tactic in ducati is when you have two if the opposing team trying to shoot you, manuver youself so they are facing each other. They will either shoot each other, or hold their shots for fear of shooting the other. I could see potential using SR the same way.
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!