Small radar enhancement thought

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
The Purple Panzer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Small radar enhancement thought

Post by The Purple Panzer »

It would be nice to have the tanks on radar (currently small colored squares) rotate to indicate what the real tanks are doing, and perhaps have a one-pixel or so addition to indicate barrel direction.

Of course, perhaps the limitations in the current display are right for game balance, but it seems a fairly minor thing, one which would make radar slightly more useful in cases where visibility is, for whatever reason, effectively zero.
Scorch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Scorch »

i say good idea! and mabye in GUI make a 'radar barrel size' option or at least a 'radar barrel: yes/no' option. if this is implemented of course
Workaphobia
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Workaphobia »

I like to make use of the fact that you can't tell if a stopped tank is turning on radar when I'm trying to fake a person out of a stalemate. If they see my radar blip isn't moving, they might wonder if I'm sleeping or not, and take a risk.

I'm thinking this could be a flag feature, but since it's far too minor to be an independent flag, it could fit under Seer.
"Nifty News Fifty: When news breaks, we give you the pieces."
oblomov
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by oblomov »

Like workaphobia, I think that not seeing where the tank is heading can be an important part in the strategy, in some cases. It should stay this way.
Scorch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Scorch »

ok yes i agree but an eddition to SEar would be good and, maby just maby; you could have a server setting for if there was or not ;)
Scorch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Scorch »

ok yes i agree but an eddition to SEar would be good and, maby just maby; you could have a server setting for if there is without SEar or not ;)
Scorch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Scorch »

oops please delete the post 2 posts before this. it was a mess up.
bamf.
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by bamf. »

Knowing where the barrel takes the fun away from it. There is a certain strategy in "guessing". I think it is part of the core of bzflag.
It's a good idea to always carry two sacks of something when you walk around. That way, if anybody says: Hey, can you give me a hand? You can say: Sorry, got these sacks.
[dmp]
Captain
Captain

Post by [dmp] »

Same here. Often if see the situation where a tank is hiding on one side of a building (eg north) .. on the east and west side, two enemies are approaching. If they can see his direction - he will be helpless. But they cant, so he got a chance - as long as they dont know who he is ready to shoot :)
I don't need huge pictures here.
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

Bamf is right. others havve opted to show where the barrel is, but its shot down as it would change the gameplay way too much...
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!