Polls

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
Memnarch
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Polls

Post by Memnarch » Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:14 am

Just a little thought: Maybe in the future, BZFlag could be made to look at a players ip instead of his callsign when running a poll, so that the player couldn't cheat by starting a bunch of clients. So tht it wouldn't let that person vote more than once. I know people who do that (*couph*brad2901*cough*), and it hardly seems fair. :P

JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM » Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:39 am

there are people who share IPs. multiple people in the same company, house, or school will often show as the same IP. So there is no way to tell the difrerence between them.

People who bot vote should be baned.
ImageJeffM

toaster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by toaster » Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:13 pm

People who bot vote should definitely be banned!

I think in this case, though, PatLabor221, they were pulling pranks on each other on their own server, and suddenly became aware of more possibiliities.

Guess we can tell by the first message who came out ahead in that particular encounter. :)
-toaster
"So there I was, all alone, facing all of the enemy. I started driving in circles, until I had them surrounded, and then I escaped in the confusion."

ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe » Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:18 pm

About these polls, they have a great system, but this is what I would do.....

Anybody ever playerd A*A (America's Army) ? If so you've seen their votekick system. A person votes, gives a reason, and people push a button to vote yes, a buttong to vote no, or just leave it.

Registered or not.

I think registering is a little hard for newbies to do, and therefore makes it difficult to votekick without an admin.

brad2901
Private First Class
Private First Class

hey!

Post by brad2901 » Sun Oct 17, 2004 5:17 pm

I have only bot voted once and that was just to kick you memnarch.

Memnarch
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by Memnarch » Sun Oct 17, 2004 5:28 pm

Don't be so modest, you used it like a hundred times to kick a whole slew of people! Of course it was only for fun, but the rest of us where kicking you in a FAIR way! :P

brad2901
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by brad2901 » Sun Oct 17, 2004 5:32 pm

Who else did i kick? - I sure don't remember kicking anybody else...

Scorch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Scorch » Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:01 pm

yah im with brad... although i don't know anything about waht happened :) im still with him.

Memnarch
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by Memnarch » Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:44 pm

Lol, there was TiGeR and Patrick, but you mostly kicked me a whole bunch of times, anyway, thats beside the point, the post is about what i talked about in the first message.

Lan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lan » Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:58 pm

I also agree that having to register first is a bit of a nuissance. In real life, a well controled democracy requires people to have certain crudentials (age, gender, etc...) and otherwise it is illegal to vote, however, BZFlag tries to copy this idea to require registration, but you do not need any crudentials, except knowing how to register, and people end up telling you on the server at that moment anyway, so in the end it is nearly as if it is more trouble than good. The server admin could always make the polling commands and voting system in the DEFAULT group, but I have yet to see this, but then again, it is up for grabs.

brad2901
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by brad2901 » Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:01 pm

do u actually care if i kiked u?

Memnarch
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by Memnarch » Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:03 pm

Brad, don't get all worked up, I was just mentioning an example. We were all kicking each other, man, I am not starting a fight. I did't care back then, and I don't care now. It's just an example.

blast
General
General

Post by blast » Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:11 pm

Patlabor221 wrote:People who bot vote should be baned.
I somewhat agree with this. However, I have used multiple clients to vote cheaters off a server a couple times. Both times I attempted to instruct users how to register and vote prior to "multi-clienting", with little success. No admins were present at the time that could have banned the cheater. If someone wanted to ban me then, I would have found it odd that they didn't ban the cheater first.

Other times I was able to get enough players registered to boot cheaters/tks off the server.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Rebel Chik0rita
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Rebel Chik0rita » Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:54 pm

i think registering with a server is a minimal requirement . peeple...its not difficult to register . it not only allows you to start polls and vote , but it also protects your callsign . once your callsign is registered with that server , no one else can use it . it lets other players , and admins , know that it's really you , and not an imposter .
the instructions are in the bz manual pages too .

the poll vote is not meant to be taken lightly . it's not meant to be abused . im more worried about bz clowns who will try an use it rampantly on any and everyone without a good reason .
taking out the registration requirement will just make it that much easier for them .
at least with registering ... a server host can know who is who for sure... check back on his/her logs to see who has been abusing the poll/vote , verify complaints , and have some evidence to ban with .

sid6.7
Private First Class
Private First Class

dbl clients

Post by sid6.7 » Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:10 pm

i had this happen a few times on servers i admin
first i veto the ban then kick the dbl's if they come
on again and try it again.. i ban for 1 day or so...
if they do it a 2nd time they are gone for at least
30 days if not forever....

i automatically check playerlist as soon as i see a poll come up...just to see if its on the level....got to be on my toes
though ...

doing my uttermost best to make jeffm2501 pop a blood vessel or cry..which ever comes first..

BZrand Random map maker 6.4 , BZchecker map validator 1.5