i know you all worked hard..but

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
baddmove
Private First Class
Private First Class

i know you all worked hard..but

Post by baddmove »

:twisted: can you make it so that we dont come into a game facing the WALL!!!!
every time i get killed..i come back in a corner facing the wall..i get killed more times this way..only because i am facing a wall and have to turn around...WA WA WA...im know..sounds like i'm whining..but i'm just wondering............
michaelh20
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by michaelh20 »

The code is in the client, and I'm pretty sure it is readily accessible..

They should also change the thing that makes all the same team members show up together... at least that part doesn't seem to help much.

If the map had actual spawning points, the map maker could optimise where tanks appear.. I would think this is really the best idea...
SGI
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SGI »

I remember this problem,a lot time ago.... really,the secret was"wait a couple seconds before respawn".
Let me know
Chestal
Dev Guru
Dev Guru

Post by Chestal »

michaelh20 wrote:They should also change the thing that makes all the same team members show up together... at least that part doesn't seem to help much.
Ys, it's not percect, but still better than the pre-e5 algorithm IMHO. This happens, because the client tries to find to best place to pop up at; to calculate the best spot, it takes enemy tanks and any shots into account. This tends to yield the same results for memebrs of the same team at a given point of time.
orchid
Dev Godess
Dev Godess

Post by orchid »

Why does it tend to face you away from the action? is this an illusion, or does it actually put you in an not so good postiton? I dont really mind, so long as it the same for everyone, but i wonderd why you "seem" to face the wall alot of times on a respawn.
MrApathyCream
Dev Wizard
Dev Wizard

Post by MrApathyCream »

bzgirl wrote:Why does it tend to face you away from the action? is this an illusion, or does it actually put you in an not so good postiton? I dont really mind, so long as it the same for everyone, but i wonderd why you "seem" to face the wall alot of times on a respawn.
Just as the code tries to keep you from being blown to bits when you first respawn, it also attempts to keep you from blowing someone else to bits as soon as you join. So if the field is crowded that means facing a wall.[/b]
baddmove
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by baddmove »

ok...i can dig that in a CROWDED world..but it seems ,, even in worlds where there are just 2-3 of us..we still come in..in a corner or facing the wall....kinda sux...LOL
badger
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by badger »

i don't recall the respawn algorithm worrying about tank rotation but maybe that's been changed. in any case, in a corner there's a 3/4 probibility of a random angle pointing towards a wall. that may account for bzgirl's experience.
Chestal
Dev Guru
Dev Guru

Post by Chestal »

badger wrote:i don't recall the respawn algorithm worrying about tank rotation but maybe that's been changed.
It has been doing this before I modified the algorithm, so I'd guess it's in there for at least two years. It allows closer distances between enemy tanks when they look in opposite directions than when they face each other. Anyway, the spawning can be improved, but it's not that easy. Each change might yield unexpected results, so a lot of testing in a variety of situations is usually neccesary.[/b]
MrApathyCream
Dev Wizard
Dev Wizard

Post by MrApathyCream »

The biggest problem, of course, with respawn is that the respawn algorithm isn't managed by any kind of 'distributed critical section', so that two clients in parallel can determine the best respawn spot, and have it be that they both pick the same spot. One pops in behind the other and boom, easy kill.