Rear View Mirror?

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
I_Died_Once
Special Forces
Special Forces

Rear View Mirror?

Post by I_Died_Once »

Even Star Raiders had a mode to look at whats going on behind you!

Maybe hit a button on the keyboard for rear view mirror mode (similar to binoculors)

A nice enhancement would be a slightly "distorted" view, and at the bottom of the screen

"Objects in rear view mirror may appear close than they seem"
...This has been a recording.
Lan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lan »

This would be bad because then one would know what is behind them, eliminating the use of Stealth and Invisible Bullets. Other than that, it could be a good idea.
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

I say it's decided by the server. I'd really like it, but then stealth addicts wouldnt.
Red Baron2
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Red Baron2 »

you already have a "rear view mirror.." it's called a radar..
"Those who say they have never been afraid are either lying, or their life has never amounted to much. Fear is nothing to be ashamed of. Often it makes man a better fighter, it inhances his senses, it gives him caution, and other qualities he will need. So when i am about, be wise....and fear."

-Wolf Tarlon-
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

IIRC blast had incorporated this in BzflagXL, But the general idea of external camera views was shot down, (no pun intended)

But as RB2 pointed out, That is what radar is for, making the only lethal flag in Lan's short list IB, unless ST is riding on your bumper.

I say cut the idea. You already have Radar, and it would clog the HUD, and you would have to make more GUI configs. For those who want change the size, opacity, zoom, placement on screen, etc, etc.

While i may sound harsh, learn to use the radar, learn to steer, drive and shoot by radar. you will be a better player for it.
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

The camera I created was not a "rear view" camera...it was a floating camera that appears above and behind the tank. It was removed due to issues it caused, and the fact that it was consided by some to be a cheat.

Now, back to the topic on hand. I don't think there should be ANY rear view mirror, decided by the server or not. Use your radar if you want to see what is behind you. What would the point of having a rear view mirror be? To make it easy for n00bies to avoid ST? If this was a racing game, then I might see a use for a rear view mirror. But this isn't...
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

I've been thinking about it, and real tanks don't have rear view mirrors, don't they?
toaster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by toaster »

RPG wrote:I've been thinking about it, and real tanks don't have rear view mirrors, don't they?
No. There there have been experiments with rear-facing cameras. I don't know if they've been incorporated into current battle tanks or not.

Other vehicles have had rear-facing camera as optional equipment. These are cumbersome, because the technology takes up too much space to sit above the dashboard. In each case, the camera itself is small, but the display sits in the center of the dash where a radio would be. That's a very bad position for normal driving.

Isuzu VehiCross - the rear door has a tire carrier mounted in it, making it rather tall, and there was a factory camera option offered, mostly in Japan, I believe.

Lamborghini Diablo - there was a factory and an add-on optional rear facing camera, again due to rear visibility problems. I suppose it would be useful for backing up. If I drove a Diablo, I would never have to be concerned about anything approaching from the rear.
-toaster
"So there I was, all alone, facing all of the enemy. I started driving in circles, until I had them surrounded, and then I escaped in the confusion."
I_Died_Once
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by I_Died_Once »

RPG wrote:I've been thinking about it, and real tanks don't have rear view mirrors, don't they?
Well, real tanks don't jump, either, but you don't hear me...

:D

I was thinking just hitting a button to switch to "rear" view mode. It's all good though, being as I am just FULL of...

...ideas!
...This has been a recording.
thedougler
Private
Private

Post by thedougler »

I am against any form of rear viewing whatsoever, except for simply turning around. As previously stated, it makes ST and IB practically useless and it eliminates some of the, dare I say it, suspense of BZFlag (i.e. you & one other player and you both have stealth... I have honestly gotten nerves playing in a situation like that... you would take that from a child... would ypu??? :cry: )
oblomov
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by oblomov »

Maybe we could have a Rearview Flag?
SilverFox
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SilverFox »

Isn't that what seer is for?

It's the game

Post by Guest »

The game is about driving around, occasionally avoiding an oponent's bullets and looking out for oponents to shoot.

The rear view would reduce the demand on the player in all three aspects. I would say, the rear view would reduce "the game".
Is there an immediate reason that could have fostered the idea?