Land Mines (Flag/World Weapon)

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
I_Died_Once
Special Forces
Special Forces

Land Mines (Flag/World Weapon)

Post by I_Died_Once »

How about a flag that drops land mines behind you as you drive forward?

Or the flag could be a type of World Weapon, where once you roll over the flag, you hear three beeps, or see a quick 3 second countdown - then where ever the flag is destructs taking out whoever is near. I'm thinking a SW about the size of a tank.

Or have it where you have to drop the flag and get away or then it goes off.

This could doubly screw over Thief, as you have to reload before you can shoot again upon stealing a weapon. Make it where they'll have less time to drop it since they stole it.

Make the countdown adjustable by the server...

This could be cool
...This has been a recording.

Self-Destruction

Post by Guest »

Let Self-Destruction destruct tanks in the vicinity and let the tank "glow" or make the countdown show, like in lemmings, above the tank. You would yourself become the land mine. ;-)
Workaphobia
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Workaphobia »

I don't care much for the countdown to fiery death idea, but trailing mines would be cool, if a mine would drop automatically and disappear when a certain number of new mines are dropped. You would then want to encircle an enemy in a tight radius.

Self destruction is also a neat idea if the blast radius is big enough.
"Nifty News Fifty: When news breaks, we give you the pieces."
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

You could certianly drop the mines around someone, but wouldn't they get to you first if all you're doing is running circles around them?
Scorch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Scorch »

no trust me rpg they dont :twisted:
Workaphobia
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Workaphobia »

Well that depends, rpg. Either the person who drops them could be made immune to their effects, or once you drive a single loop around a person you move either inward or outward so you don't cross your own path. There's a lot of tweaking to be done either way.
"Nifty News Fifty: When news breaks, we give you the pieces."
Scorch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Scorch »

hmm, yeah good point work, i think he was talking about the one your circling, but good point...
sid6.7
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sid6.7 »

RPG wrote:You could certianly drop the mines around someone, but wouldn't they get to you first if all you're doing is running circles around them?

they could be marked on radar also...just your radar...
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

sid6.7 wrote:they could be marked on radar also...just your radar...
That'd make sense, since shots are shown on radar, shouldn't the mines?
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

if you wanted mines to be effective though, hide them from radar. and have them only show on screen.

personally, I am against any form of mines. Like jeff said, if bzflag was more fast paced, then yes, but it is not, and that is what attracts me to bzflag, and Why I haved played it for so long.
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!
BIYA
Corporal
Corporal

Post by BIYA »

Or how about a sticky gun? Like on Saving Private Ryan. You fire a Sticky Bomb at your opponent and it sticks to him and he runs around in circles knowing hes going to die... It would be funny to like Load him up with like 20 sticky bombs :)
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

hehe :). But if you manage to hit him with a sticky bomb, he would die. If you managed to hit him in the same spot without the flag, he would die too.
BIYA
Corporal
Corporal

Post by BIYA »

Yes.. but the whole point of the bomb is the enjoyment of him knowing he is going to die and he can do anything about it.
Memnarch
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by Memnarch »

Problem: Say you have sticky gun, then you are an easy kill. A REALLY easy kill. Since it takes so long to kill the person, as soon as you shoot him, the guy turns around and blows you the hell up. He is coming at you, and you keep shooting out of instinct, but nothing happens. People look at you when you drive by, and you have Sticky gun, then they al come after you knowing they get ane asy kill.
Scorch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Scorch »

when I release my new map i will also release a object that is a pretty cool mine.
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

Memnarch wrote:Problem: Say you have sticky gun, then you are an easy kill. A REALLY easy kill. Since it takes so long to kill the person, as soon as you shoot him, the guy turns around and blows you the hell up. He is coming at you, and you keep shooting out of instinct, but nothing happens. People look at you when you drive by, and you have Sticky gun, then they al come after you knowing they get ane asy kill.
But the person that shot you would be soon to die anyways. So it'd be an even tradeoff. Get shot with the sticky bullet, shoot the sticky shooter, both of you die.
Memnarch
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by Memnarch »

Not much point in making the flag, then, eh? And whoever heard of someone settling for an even tradeoff in bzflag? It's kill, and not die, not kill then wait to be killed so you can feel even!
BIYA
Corporal
Corporal

Post by BIYA »

Thats the down fall of the Sticky Bomb. Like say the person has 5 sec. to kill me. Well if your smart enough Memnarch then you would runaway jump on somthing jump in a tele somthing okay? Its soooooo easy to escape some its funny. Then after he blows up you'll feel good cause that guy had a GM flag and you killed him with a slow death :wink: . Yes GM's are also one of the easyest things to dodge so dont go saying
O yeah try running from a GM when hes mad at you for ruining his 400 camping GM kill
. If your not good enough then just drop the flag there is not such server setting as

Code: Select all

Options
-set _allPlayersHaveFlag SO <---- Sticky bomb
end
But that would be fun if we some what like 20 players on a server FULLLLL of Sticky Guns. Everyone be running around screaming.
Ice Wewe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Land Mines

Post by Ice Wewe »

Make sure you don't drive on yours! How about, once your on top, its only when you move off of it that you die, and after a server set number of kills while your still on it (can't jump) the land mine is defused!
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

You don't need to have a flag, or world weapon. On 2.0 you just make a small object, with a certain shape and set it so when you touch it you die. Aribeth did that on her map (Giza Plateau)
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

Code: Select all

Options
-set _allPlayersHaveFlag SO <---- Sticky bomb
end
But that would be fun if we some what like 20 players on a server FULLLLL of Sticky Guns. Everyone be running around screaming.
Your thinking like Halo now aren't you... Halo is also made by commi-soft.
bryjen
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by bryjen »

http://www.bzflag.org/wiki/FlagList
Mines are used as an example in the No-Instant-Death-Flags rule. It would be difficult to find a balance between the frustration caused by mines you can't avoid and mines that are so avoidable that they're useless.
RPG wrote:Halo is also made by commi-soft.
Surely you're not saying the company that made one of the richest individuals in the world is involved in communism.
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

Meh, I use the word communism too much.