shuffle setting

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
jinx
Private First Class
Private First Class

shuffle setting

Post by jinx »

This game really needs a shuffle command for an admin to shuffle the players to different teams on a CTF server.

All too often one team is stacked, and once winning they don't care about it being a good game or not, they just want to keep winning.

Even better - a variable setting where if one teams wins 4 times in a row it automatically shuffles. And why stop there - if it's possible to set a time variable - then if one teams wins in a short time it shuffles there and then.

Course, all this settable by an admin/server settings.

Thoughts?
If you think I was mean, please tell me. I was actually going for NASTY!
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

moved to enhancemnts
ImageJeffM
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

Hate to say it, but once I start off with a few teammates I like to keep playing with them. It's like an 'invisible bond'. I wouldn't want to fight my own teammates a few minutes later. Also, I get confused when I switch team colors, because either I teamkill or avoid the team I used to be on.
The Gecko
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by The Gecko »

If a map gets too unbalanced, I'll usually switch...Unless I have a really good score. :wink:
Glassjaw
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Glassjaw »

like rpg said, it would become too confusing if you were forced to change colors every now and then.

i do agree that balanced teams are rarely found on most ctf servers
1veedo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by 1veedo »

Just use -autoteam.

Most people will request that others switch teams. And any new players would automatically be the team w/ the least amount of players.
1veedo (libcurl.so.2) I have version 3!
Glassjaw
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Glassjaw »

1veedo wrote:Just use -autoteam.

Most people will request that others switch teams. And any new players would automatically be the team w/ the least amount of players.
that fixes the balance between the amount of players each team has, but if one team just has much more talent than the other, you can't solve it like that
jinx
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by jinx »

Ok I'll add to the mix,

while I share the "want to play with certain people" aspect - I much prefer a well fought game than a continual romp on the other team.

And it happens far too often.

And, having played RtCW for a few years - which switches you from allies to axis every two games or so - it is not that disconcerting once you know it's happening.

Granted - the visuals in RtCW tend to inform you of the changes much more than BZFLAG would.

I'm just saying it is very hard to get those good matches -
If you think I was mean, please tell me. I was actually going for NASTY!
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

That's one of the reasons CTF doesn't appeal to me as well as FFA with teams does. Either in CTF I'm on the losing team and know that unless I play for hours, we'll never be back on top, or I'm on the winning team and capturing the flag becomes pointless.
Glassjaw
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Glassjaw »

RPG wrote:That's one of the reasons CTF doesn't appeal to me as well as FFA with teams does. Either in CTF I'm on the losing team and know that unless I play for hours, we'll never be back on top, or I'm on the winning team and capturing the flag becomes pointless.
i believe that it's the responsablility of the best players to switch teams every now and then to keep the game even and fun.
(but obviously, most players don't share this opinion ;) )
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

My Thoughts: I think, that as long as it is not like 10 players to 1, that you just need to play harder :)

If it is 10-1 on teams, just ask nicely for them to switch to even it out. I do this a lot, and people switch all the time. Sometimes they didn't even notice teams were uneven! But if you are talking about one team playing better than the other one? Nah that means you just have to improve.
nurdc0re
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by nurdc0re »

How about if servers took into account a player's strength index when putting them on teams?
Glassjaw
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Glassjaw »

m51dps wrote:How about if servers took into account a player's strength index when putting them on teams?
sounds nice in theory but the strength index isn't that reliable in practice :(