A Laundry List of ideas

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
I_Died_Once
Special Forces
Special Forces

A Laundry List of ideas

Post by I_Died_Once »

Thats right - I'm just full of...

...ideas, now that I've been running my own server for a little while. Here are a few things I'd like to see added/changed about the game.

re: Global Login

How about making this somewhat of a chat/instant messaging system? If you're globally logged in to one server, and your friend/bother/cousin/lesbian lifetime partner is logged into another server, and both of you are registered - you should be able to communicate. Make it so the chat does not affect the server either is playing on, perhaps in the same manner your client contacts my.bzflag.org

re: Server variables

I'd like to see many of the /set commands be broken down into sub categories. Not all of them are affected equally. For example - I only want cops on my server to be able to make (what I call) "cosmetic" changes. Mainly variables involving colors and the appearance of the map. I do not want them to be able to change gravity, or tank radius... I call these "dynamic" variables, as they affect intricate game play. I'm sure more categories could be made, but these are two that stick out to me.

Incorporate the /mute command in the list of things you can do when you press the "o" key.

---

Be able to kick, mute, and do most every other option that normally require the player's callsign... but be able to do it by their IP address, or by their player's slot. I've found that whe you end up having to mute someone, they just log right back in with a new name, and resume the same antics. Mute them by IP, and they can't resume retardation so easily.

I had a few more ideas, but they escape me now that I am actually typing this stuff out. Maybe more later
...This has been a recording.
wegstar
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by wegstar »

re: Global Login

How about making this somewhat of a chat/instant messaging system? If you're globally logged in to one server, and your friend/bother/cousin/lesbian lifetime partner is logged into another server, and both of you are registered - you should be able to communicate. Make it so the chat does not affect the server either is playing on, perhaps in the same manner your client contacts my.bzflag.org
I believe that is already going to be implemented in the future... Jeffm2501 may have more info. Feel free to correct me ;)
Formerly "nader"
---
Microsoft broke Volkswagen's world record: Volkswagen only made 22 million bugs!
-----
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer." -- Bruce Graham
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

I know of no plans to do it.

Some server would have to host the chat.

I've experimented with using IRC for in game chat relay. it works, but it's a masive change to the game.

it would also screw over lan games, since you'd be tying the game to some internet resource.
ImageJeffM
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

What if you did client/client communication? Would that work?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

Then every client would know every other client's IP address. this would be bad. Then people could just flood you off games when you were winning. To protect against that you'd end up with all sorts of "friends lists" and something that would have to map IP to name and 1000 other kludges.

No it has to be handled by a centeral server or network of servers. The closest thing to that right now is IRC.

This is one of the many features that would require BZ to shift focus from LAN play to Internet play. I personly think it is time to make that shift.
ImageJeffM