Shots the bounce off a pyramid through boxes (or decks)

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
isfry
Private First Class
Private First Class

Shots the bounce off a pyramid through boxes (or decks)

Post by isfry »

The question has been asked of me and I didn't have a good answer and for lack of a better place I posted it here. Here it is. Say you have a level with floating boxes or decks and you have a pyramid below it. If you shoot it the shot (with ricochet on) goes through the deck and if you are very lucky you can some times get a kill. I know it has done this for a very long time and I would imagine it would be a pain to collision detect a shot bouncing down from the bottom of a box and since it grew from a 2D origin this was never thought of. Has anyone ever thought of address this or just making the shots stop there? It was a good question and I kind of figured it was just an over site and too big of a pain to projects it coming back down. The guys I play with are tired of getting submerined from those shots. Thanks in advance if any anyone has some insight on this.
CobraA1
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by CobraA1 »

This is due to the fact that BZFlag wasn't originally designed to have objects above ground - hence it doesn't even consider bullets hitting objects from the bottom. I guess we should add that to our bug list, if it isn't already there.
-CobraA1

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away" --Henry David Thoreau

My avatar symbol © 2002 Jeremiah Moss. All rights reserved.
MrApathyCream
Dev Wizard
Dev Wizard

Post by MrApathyCream »

The social difficulties probably far outweigh the technological ones :)
isfry
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by isfry »

Yeah it is a minor thing but with more people making worlds with floating boxes it dose not take long to exploit this feature. I think having it bounce up and down would be too much of a pain to deal with and with laser it would just make it linger even longer it might be best just to have it die when it the bottom of something. This request came form the people I work with they are kind of insane they like the more then 10 shot server so when I gave them a map with decks it did not take them long to exploit that feature and when you have that many shots you get brave and try things like that :D Well I didn't know if anyone else had noticed it or if anyone else though it was a good or bad thing.
Dervish
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dervish »

I agree with isfry and Apathy, and feel that a change in BZFlag to allow vertical ricochet is simply too much to deal with for players. May be in a future version like 1.9 or something, it may be more acceptable by the community.

However I still feel it's not a good idea to simply let shots fly up with nothing to stop them. Is it possible to set vertical collision detect on boxes to simply stop ALL shots (ie: laser and ricochet-enabled bullets) from going through them, much like guided missiles do now?
protected object myTank(){
foreach(noob in this.game){return frag(noob);}}
isfry
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by isfry »

Good point about Gm it does stop at a roof (or floor) hadn't thought of that but yeah i guess it would ne be that much of a change to make it stop on a roof like gm just have to find the code for that.